Monday, March 18, 2013

Love, Loss and What I Wore

This past weekend we were treated to an evening of laughs by none other than Nora Ephron (and her sister Delia's) work...  You know the humor through Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, Julie and Julia, Heartburn... Don't they just bring a smile to your face thinking about them?

Well every good story needs a vehicle and this one was 'clothing.'  How many of you had a favorite outfit that you will never forget for whatever reasons, good / bad?  I have a feeling women have more  attachments than most men to their clothing and that includes the accessories - shoes, purses, bras/ the like.

I wonder what pictures I'd draw of the clothing that took me through my lifetime as I grew up not in Manhattan as this play's main character but in Little Rock, Arkansas.  As women we share similar coming of age stories no matter where we live...

28 stories were written for 5 women to share although our Pump House stage was filled with more bodies of all ages sharing 'Love, Loss and What they Wore.'  The cast changes with each performance and the delivery is similar to Vagina Monologues with scripts serving as a crutch if the need arises.

Before the play started there was a fashion slide show and boy did those images evoke memories. Mini skirts, Madonna, Jackie O.  Remember Simplistic patterns?  My Mom was a Home Ec major and I think the kitchen was more her thing than sewing.  I remember  construction issues of whatever she made me. I think I made it through half a recess in the blue and red cotton jumper  before I had to call home for a change of clothes as the seams started coming undone before the game of 4 square was over. Boy was that embarrassing!

So many memories tied up with clothing... "While clothes may not make the woman, they often tell her story." Take a listen by clicking on the link below and if you have a chance- go see this play if it's playing nearby, you won't be sorry. I am still smiling... Thank you Nora, we will miss your wonderful humor and weaving of words but they will live on in the work you left behind. Ms Ephron passed away in June at the age of 71.

Love, Loss and What I Wore




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete