Monday, January 14, 2013

It's That TIme of Year Again...

Guess what starts arriving every January in mailboxes?  They definitely get certain people's blood a 'moving . AND NO, they are not bills...



Seed catalogues, lots and lots of seed catalogues.  Nurseries know that gardeners are restless and tired of winter and anxious to start their seedlings before spring is upon them.  It's like having a breath of fresh air with all the colorful pages of blooms and plants.

For in the middle of the arctic-like temps especially the vision of sugarplums, okay, actually plants start dancing in gardeners's heads as they dream of ideas of what to plant and where to plant it. Garden plans start a'festering. And these catalogue specials entice and seduce one to order more with lush pics and new varieties. Gardeners are itching to dig in the dirt and be ready for planting those plants as the weather allows.

I spent a lot of my free time this past week calling in search of seed to local nurseries and hardware stores only to discover that most hadn't even received any seed as of yet...

You see my job was to decorate tables for a going away luncheon on Saturday and I wanted to find "Forget Me Not "  seeds.

It wasn't until I got to the Menard's in Eau Claire which coincidentally was directly behind the motel where I spent the night that I found them. Now that made my day!
 Apparently workers had been 'super' busy just that day assembling seed displays.




I hit the jackpot! I was SOOOO happy that my table decorating could come to fruition and I sure hope our friends will plant their seed in their new home's garden and will think of us when they see their new plants.




We here in the End of the Rainbow Valley sure won't forget them...

1 comment:

  1. Oh I remember the thrill of the planting catalogs! I wonder if mine will get forwarded to me yet. I hope not as we have to pay to have them remailed to us. I've been busy contacting several places to try to get off the mailing lists. But I remember how exciting it was to sit with a cup of hot cocoa and dream of the gardens to come.

    ReplyDelete