Wednesday, December 19, 2012

It's NOT My Time Yet...

It's only midweek and it has been way too emotional to say the least ... it's my very own PTSD type of week and Tuesday was no help.  Weathermen had forecasted welcoming winter with a complete white out and 6-12 inches of snow with 40mph winds to start on Wednesday evening.  THAT would be today.  There was a possibility of a little snow late in the day Tuesday so as I was traveling to our Jazzercise Luncheon and a couple flakes were blowing around, I didn't think much of it...   As I approached our hostess's  home and the inclines became steeper there sat my destination atop a long driveway. I opted to park street side with a few others and make the climb on foot...

Now you know what's coming because the snow really started falling. The home's large beautiful windows had a spectacular view of the surrounding hills becoming whiter. As we were eating lunch enjoying the view, one gal who didn't have four wheel drive decided to move her car down to the street per the homeowner's suggestion as the snow was starting to accumulate. One of our 'country' college girls offered to move it for her. She returned  reporting that it was 'slick.' Another chimed in -" yeah, the car was sliding sideways as she went down the drive." EEGADS!

Alas when departure time came since no one had worn boots and it might be a treacherous walk downhill, we decided to get a ride down to our cars.  My ride had squished four of us in the truck cab's back seat with one passenger up front. Then rather than heading straight down the driveway, the driver did the unexpected as she turned the opposite direction. Being the back seat driver I am, I inquired why she was turning and she replied that she was going to back down the hill that her husband had just gotten new tires.  I was puzzled but heck I am just a Southerner, what do I know about snow?  I told  the truckload to just close their eyes.  "Everybody?" someone questioned as we all laughed and I quickly added. "Well not the driver."  So back we went slowly and proceeded to slide and slide we did- right over the steep edge of the driveway with nothing to stop us until the driver said some very unwelcomed words; " I think we are going to roll..."

Now some of you may remember I had just experienced a rollover in June.  I had convinced myself  that was my first and last time so this was not OK.  Panic shot through me  she finished the word 'roll' and as the car started to tip and we braced ourselves, it righted and stabilized itself on a flat tier. OMG. There we sat about a good 20 feet below the drive. Someone quickly said we'd walk the rest of the way and there was no argument from me. I couldn't get out of that vehicle fast enough... Shaken doesn't begin to say how my insides felt. As unsteady as my hand was... I snapped this quick pic where you can see our tracks although there is no perspective. (Just double the tracks upward)  Heck I couldn't get to my car fast enough. I needed to sit down and breathe.


After  regaining my composure, I checked with surrounding drivers as to their intentions.  2 of them had husbands coming to pick them up/ move their cars. Well this Southerner put the car in low gear and on all wheel drive and slowly crept down the hill. No sliding. Whew, so far so good.  When I got to the main road out of the subdivision, there sat a fire truck with its firemen diverting traffic. Accidents were both ways with one direction closed off but the other with advice to proceed with caution.

Slow wasn't a problem. I had just been spared. There was no rush. Boy was I happy to pull into my garage, close the door behind me and know I am staying put for the next couple of days until we are dug out on Thursday.  I heard my heals clicking as I repeated the phrase...There's no place like home, there's no place like home like in the End of the Rainbow Valley...


4 comments:

  1. You escaped from disaster! I forget all those adventures in the snow....we've all had them. I'm glad you got home okay and are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have to forget them / we'd never get back in a car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Enjoy your "snow day." Play/work with photos, make things, read, and watch the flakes coming down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All very good suggestions since I won't be leaving the valley anytime soon!

      Delete