Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What's up Doc?

As I was canvassing in Chaseburg late this am, Natureman was up on the Ridge picking up some maple syrup from the Amish and also some saw dust from their saw mill.

You may ask why we need sawdust. Any guesses?

Well it has to do with storage... IN fact sawdust is a great way to store our last harvest. If you had Superman x-ray vision, you could see amidst the sawdust in this washtub are our root crops which will keep all winter in the garage.


While I was cleaning out leaves from the gutters and Romeo, our dog was chasing a Rhode Island Red (hen) who had flown the coop, Natureman was busy digging up carrots and rutabagas. BTW Henrietta did make it back to the coop in the nick of time.

Inside that wash tub are about 15 lbs of carrots (Thank goodness they all aren't this huge!) and about 2 dozen rutabagas. I have a feeling that our eyesight should be improving. WELL this bounty makes up for the year when the Sears guys came to take away the old frig and Natureman forgot about the carrots that were still in it. :)

ANYHOW, if you have any 'favorite' root veggie recipes, do send them this way to the End of the Rainbow Valley as I have a strong feeling that I am going to be needing them.

1 comment:

  1. You guys never cease to amaze me with your ingenuity! My first husband's parents used sawdust to store the ice over the summer. Hmm, I wonder if it would work for cat litter?

    ReplyDelete