Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Not Fondue, Fondant

Some things look a lot easier than they really are but I bet you already knew that. Thanks to youtube I was able to watch what looked like a relatively easy way to create a new type of frosting that I thought would be fun to try. Besides the fact that I was skipping an art class of painting of all things'frozen grapes', I thought that grandchild Kylie's 3rd birthday cake would be my 'art' project for the week.

Most importantly always make the cake base ahead of time and put it in the freezer as it proves to be easier to frost. Trust me it lessens those crumbs and gives you a much smoother texture no matter which frosting recipe you use.

Let me say that this really was a 'big' lesson. There's a reason that those beautiful cakes cost so much. Read on... This icing is called FONDANT and I can describe it as being like play-do with about the same consistency, you roll it out and then drape it over your cake. You can cut out shapes and create layers. Here's a beautiful example from our friends at Pinterest. Who knows maybe Kylie will be 21 by the time I finished.
I can only aspire to do something so beautiful...

So here's the best Butter Cream Fondant recipe I found. Easy to find ingredients and finger licking good.

1/2 c butter
2/3 c sweetened condensed milk
6 c confectioner's powdered sugar
dash vanilla

OK easy enough... First I let the butter soften a bit and then added the other ingredients adding the powdered sugar a cup at a time, setting the speed on 'icings'. Well you would have thought that I was trying on my Casper the Ghost costume for Halloween as everything was covered in a white film including a 5 foot radius in the kitchen. It kind of reminded of being in a house remodeling project where that fine white sanded dust film is everywhere. And the beaters were spitting out creamed sugar butter clumps every once in a while too. I'll probably be finding frosting flicks for a while.

Anyhow, after mixing all the ingredients into a dough ball, the recipe suggested working with the dough kneading it pliable. Since the finger injury actually kneading is one of my prescribed therapies but I am still really weak with the right hand so I thought how 'bout trying the food processor using the dough blade? There was one little problem and that is that it is alot of mass. I discovered the Cuisinart was working overtime and pretty warm. So I split the dough and did half at a time. Shockeroo it really became play-do like.

(If it's too tacky just add a bit more confectioner's sugar. If too dry, a drop or two of water at a time)

Then divide up the frosting to add desired coloring.

I used latex gloves in order to not get the dye get all over my hands, allowing me to work it into the dough. I then stored it in my trusty tupperware until needed.


I had no clue how much I would need and hate the feeling of being short... (ok no short jokes) had me making too much of course. Hence some left over.

The next step is to ensure that the fondant does not slide off of the cake. So I took some leftover can frosting heated it 30 seconds in the microwave and just poured it atop the desired cake piece so it acted like glue. Stick the cake back in the freezer for 10 minutes.

While it is setting, sprinkle powdered sugar on the rolling surface.... Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough piece to a thin sheet. Then drape over the frosted cake. Use a pizza cutter to trim the piece once atop the cake. It worked like a charm.

And VOILA it was done. Well not exactly just like that. I had to cover the project with saran wrap and then foil and keep it in the freezer as I had to take breaks.
Dora was a bit rough but I had finished my week's art project in time for the party.
Dora and the alphabet cupcakes were polished off.


Dora made one little 3 year old girl named Kylie so mesmerized that she didn't want to leave Dora and rejoin the party. She made my day when she said 'AMAZING.' Clean up awaited me in the End of the Rainbow Valley but that's OK.










1 comment:

  1. What a sweet little girl...so deserving of the wonderful cake. You've created a wonderful memory for her.

    ReplyDelete