Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Texas Caviar

You know I had totally forgotten that one of the friends who started me on blogging about my new life in the End of the Rainbow Valley said that I should also include recipes. Oh yeah, it was a great suggestion and I have neglected to do so. So here goes...

First and foremost, I have to admit that I 'really' do try to follow a recipe exactly the first time but I am guilty of substitutions mainly due to what's on hand. You see when you live out in the country, you don't just jump in the car to run to the store. I guess that's the idea of the pantry and those canned/frozen goods.


I admit that very rarely does anything I make ever taste exactly the same the next time I make it. I can't blame it on creative genius either... LOL.

OK so for all those that want an appetizer that always gets polished off, THIS is a favorite here in the End of the Rainbow Valley. In our Jazzercise class we all donated recipes to give the new brides and this was one of those appetizer recipes. The corn, cilantro, tomatoes, chilies all come from our garden but the secret is the marinade and I confess that I have cut back on the sugar when I make it now. AND you may also notice it says pimentos which I rarely have on hand but seem to have an abundance of either tomatoes or pepper. ANYHOW - here's the original recipe passed on to me by my Jazzerbuddy Mary.

Thanks Mary for making me and others TEXAS CAVIAR addicts!



TEXAS CAVIAR

1 can 15 oz black eyed peas (rinse/drain)
1 can 15 oz black beans (rinse/drain)
1 can 15 oz pinto or red beans (rinse/drain)
2 T diced pimentos
1-2 cans 11 oz shoepeg corn (drained)
1 small sweet onion (diced)
1-3 jalapeno peppers (diced/no seeds)
fresh cilantro to taste (1/4-1/2 c/chopped)

Combine all in a bowl. Add marinade.

Marinade:

1 t salt
½ t pepper
1T water
¼ c oil
¾ c cider vinegar
1 c sugar

Refrigerate 'at least' 2 hrs.
Serve with 'Scoops' (boat like chips).

ENJOY and get your scoops in fast as it disappears before you know it even if you eat somewhere besides the End of the Rainbow Valley...


No comments:

Post a Comment