Monday, August 13, 2018

MALL ART



Not many folks think of going to a mall as a cultural art activity. My youngest brother shared North Park Center in Dallas for that very reason. 

Amidst high end stores a variety of 20th and 21st century art by renowned artists don the walkways allowing some 26 million mall visitors to enjoy art during a shopping experience.

If you find yourself at North Park, stop at the concierge for a complimentary map of the locales of the art installations. Below are some examples of the fine art we experienced on Saturday morning at a mall no less.

This Land is Your Land are three structures which are elevated water tanks standing next to each other. One needs to walk underneath them and look up inside the barrel where the light configuration is mirrored to create infinity. My favorite was the ladder that my brother pretended to climb.  



.
20 elements, 2004-200

I call this one soda addiction





Intermodal Elevation, 2015


Sustainable Flowers










Another popular one was by Kaws, the one I named 'Tired Kids and Parent shopper'  We know that's always the time to go home.  

















After enjoying our loop around the art filled mall, I had the opportunity to go see where my brother and his family now live and spend a lovely afternoon with family. 

It was a great day in the big D.

No comments:

Post a Comment