Wednesday, August 8, 2018

ADDICTED :DOWN, BUT NOT OUT...

As many of you know I just celebrated my 40th anniversary of being a Jazzercise participant. Besides telling folks that I started at a very early age, I know I could own a franchise by now. 



I have jazzercised in jazzercise centers/ rented business building spaces, gyms from hospitals, schools, community centers, churches/ temples/ their social halls and even parking lots. You get the idea, give us a large open space and we will use it. Flooring has varied from ideal wooden gym floors or suspended planking, rubber, low pile carpeting , sheet vinyl/ linoleum tiles.

While I've been in the La Crosse area, Jazzercise has convened in a hospital's gym with wooden floor which eventually needed remodelling and then room for their fitness programs. So we moved a block away to a church's basement social hall. There's no AC but cheap rent and the linoleum flooring is less than stellar in the summer months as it sweats/ becomes sticky/ slippery after certain cleanings.

We know to pick up our feet but sometimes we even have to towel off the bottom of tennis shoes for better traction.  Well, yesterday the floor got the better of me and my friend Judy who was exercising to my left. 

It was very muggy in the room despite numerous fans moving air around. We open windows for fresh air. We were sashaying to the right when apparently Judy's right foot stuck and unbeknownst to me down she fell to my left onto the floor and when I returned to the left fell smack down on top of her. As I braced the fall with both hands, more weight fell on my left palm and right knee. In a matter of seconds our good health wasn't so good.We helped each other up and asked if each other was okay as other folks rushed over to check on us. She continued working out.

I,  on the other hand, called it quits and departed from the exercise area since that knee and palms were really smarting. Luckily frozen washcloths were available and could be applied to the painful areas. I laid down on a long bench in the outer hallway with the compress and leg raised after taking an Aleve to control that swelling.

I had a plane to get on today and wasn't going to push it.  The ice and pain medication really helped and I joined the girls afterwards at our coffee place.  Judy was more worried about me than herself and I was more worried about Judy since she already has a hip issue , the one she landed on no less. She kept apologizing and the fact of the matter is it could of happened to any of us.

Last night I applied one of those athletic medicated bandages and awoke this am with pain minimized. It could have been super swollen and I can walk on it. 

So it's time for the church/ program to invest in a humidifier to help regulate that humidity before anybody else gets hurt. You know we don't heal as fast as we used to. We went down, but we're not out. We'll be back to Jazzercise as long as the body allows. Yep, you could call us addicts.  



1 comment: