Tuesday, July 10, 2018

ANOTHER GEM FOUND

I don't share much about my son as he prefers to stay below the radar but he has a very unique talent, an uncanny knack of finding jewels on city sidewalks. No kidding. 

In fact, he actually bought a gadget which determines if a stone is a real diamond and not cubic zirconium/crystal. He really has a ziploc bag of found items. Some gems he has made into gifts.

Well, let it be know this past weekend his Mom found quite a gem herself. You see after making sure the working cats had food, water and privacy, I was off to the town of Viroqua where supposedly 2 days of sidewalk sale days were underway.



Truth be told colored helium filled balloons dotted Main Street's pavement  but unfortunately the vendors for the most part weren't into it. Apparently Saturday would be a bigger day than Friday with the Farmer's Market, music and more vendor participants.
Gifts enclosed...

I couldn't just leave empty handed after making the 40 minute drive. I did find a couple of sale items. BUT the real gifts were found in the artist cooperative VIVA GALLERY, no sale, but locally made art AND included with my purchases was a lead for where to eat lunch. 

I had asked about Kickapoo Coffee situated caddy corner across Main Street now housed in the old 1940's Mobile gas station. The artist told me their Hearty Market Salad is her favorite and it's so much food, she usually gets the smaller version.
I had gone to exercise class without breakfast. Okay, just a handful of almonds and it was well past one. Time to eat but as I walked up to this Kickapoo Coffee's counter and asked to see a menu, I was informed the kitchen closed at two. It was 2:07.  Perhaps, the cashier offered since I just wanted a salad, the kitchen could possibly make me one, he would ask.  If I had just visited a little less in the gallery. Well, luck was on my side as it could be made. In the yummy pastry case next to me was a powdered sugar topped chocolate brownie looking cookie calling me to take it home for Natureman so I added that to my fare. 

After grabbing a cup of some bubbly water and a couple minutes of people watching and taking in the warm environs especially the beautifully hand crafted wooden tables and chairs, my Hearty Market Salad arrived. If presentation is key this salad blew it out of the park as it was colorful, fresh and after the first pungent bite, I was in heaven.  There was nothing not to like.  Crisp cucumber pieces, variety of textured greens, mandolin sliced watermelon radish and carrot strip, fermented veggies like ginger, onion and peppers, aged cheese, boiled egg and not too much but just the right amount of delicious dressing. In my opinion, a locally grown salad orgy on a plate. No leftovers as the entire salad was polished off by me.  Dee-lish.



If I'm to be honest the chocolate cookie didn't make it home either.  About 20 minutes in on the return trip that chocolate cookie in my purse beckoned me to try a nibble. If my memory serves me correctly it was called 'Crunch' but honestly it should be called  Crack as it disappeared well before reaching Chaseburg. I fessed up to Natureman that I had meant to bring him home a treat, but we'll have to go back.

Yep, I found us a gem right on Main Street Viroqua called Kickapoo Coffee... 

1 comment:

  1. You are too funny! The salad looks great and I would have done the same thing with the chocolate dessert...except I wouldn't have been so honest about it. Oh the things Left Brain knows nothing about!

    ReplyDelete