Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The "Honey Do" List

I don't know about you but for me the "Honey Do" list  holds mixed feelings...

As a newlywed my ex would leave me daily lists of things to do that day and when he returned would ask what I had done. Grrr... Let's just say, I did not take it well. 

When I taught, lesson plans were a necessary organizational skill to complete certain unit objectives but weren't lesson plans really 'honey do' lists?

I am a list maker and make lists to not forget certain tasks due to limited free time and even today since I don't live close to town, lists ensure making the most of my drive.

When my Dad comes to visit, he likes to keep busy fixing things. So before his visit, I create a list. Over the years I have had to revise my list as if I gave him the entire list, he completed it in the first 2 days. So now just a couple items will be given in intervals between fishing and other activities.

Funny how the roles have reversed with my kids. When I visited my daughter last year for her wedding prep she sent me a long to do project list ahead of time.  I have to admit panic as I was thinking, "Wait I am only coming for a week, not a month." Of course as Mom it's my pleasure to be able to help with whatever. Living so far away I have limited opportunities so those lists and her planning allow me to be part of her life.  
That's a lot of spindles and parts !

Two weeks ago the biggest project on her list for my pre baby visit this time was working on Baby Tater Tot's room. The soon-to-be parents had purchased a painted used large bureau to be used as a changing table and an end table besides inheriting a glider rocker with a footstool. 

My friend Nancy gave me a refinishing tutorial and advice of products before I left as the last time I refinished furniture was my antique dining room set in 1978. The Home Depot guy was also a gem and sent us home with all the necessary products and a lot of advice including keeping the expectant mother out of the process due to fumes. Good advice.
This move wore my son out...

It was great having a houseful of family to lend a hand in the process. The guys carried the furniture down to the garage.

 Even my son-in-law got some hand sanding in on the big piece...



And thanks to my daughter's mother-in-law and son's significant other, we prepped - sanded and primed and applied two coats of paint. Their help allowed me to be able to complete the second coat of finish before heading out on my return flight.  

Not only do the other pieces match the crib but we picked out a durable neutral fabric and  

VOILA!  Our coup de gras, the finished rocker and glider, ready for many hours of rocking. 

I can't deny it "Honey Do" lists really do help and there certainly is a great sense of satisfaction checking those completed items off the list. Don't you agree?


1 comment:

  1. Couldn't live efficiently without them. I like mine in "word" so I can just cut & paste an item to another day if I don't quite get to it. LOL

    ReplyDelete