Thursday, September 22, 2016

TBT: CHANGES IN THE CITY OF BROTHERLY LOVE

When one lives out in the middle of nowhere, i.e. the End of the Rainbow Valley, there's no walking to the closest store/ restaurant. So it is quite a change of convenience and scenery to be smack dab downtown in a large urban city such as Philadelphia within walking distance of so much activity. My youngest lives in a terrific urban locale.  One couldn't ask for better city living than to have a convenience food store next door, a Whole Foods within  5 blocks, eateries and tourist spots galore and this apartment window view. I never had this opportunity to live like this when I was young. Urban life is filled with very different energies.

Although my visit was to be helping my son with some moving projects, he has made sure to get me out to see what's new in his hood. There are so many new building projects amidst the old. 

After a morning of doing prep work for an upholstery project and lunch my son suggested a walk. I was a bit leery as he has a pretty good city clip and I am a poker, definitely not a fast walker.  You probably have noticed the journeying of my surroundings with photography.  In fact, I should have a bumper sticker plastered on my back that reads: Frequent Stops for Kodak moments.

I will have to dedicate one entire entry to the murals of Philadelphia. For today one within a half a block from his apartment that may be all gone by tomorrow as as its old building is being demolished...  



Another loss is the adjacent open space which had served as an illegal dog park. Yep, folks had decided to use this green space for their pets. The gate's hole opening has been refenced and No Trespassing Signs are posted. Sad for both the dog owners and the pooches. A large apartment building will probably refill this space. Progress ? 
The Barnes Foundation

A new huge apartment complex had been built with restaurants/stores below, followed  the new Barnes Museum filled with an incredible Impressionist collection. The building itself is a piece of work. Unfortunately, it was closed to the public on Tuesdays. 

The Whole Foods in the next block will be moving to new space a
Philadelphia Museum steps made more famous by Rocky
couple blocks closer to the Museum with more available parking. My son had already had his run earlier in the morning so he wasn't game at the Rocky victory pose atop the stairs so we encircled the museum and enjoyed the sculpture garden. 



Familiar artist sculpture flanked the sidewalk. Artist works I recognized from in front of the Milwaukee Museum of Art (L) and Crystal Bridges in northern Arkansas.

Even the city knew I might need recharging and had this extra adapter laying out on their grounds. 



There were also Plein Air artists in the park along  the back side of the museum and Waterworks. Very picturesque, no? Folks out for their morning jog/ walk. Tourists visiting the grounds and locals just out for a little fresh air along the river.
As we made the return loop 
there were remnants from the recent Democratic convention, banners of quotes along fencing. 


 Walking past the Free Library, I also learned about the Family Court building which has been sold and must keep architectural features as it will become a high end hotel, next to the magnificent brand new Mormon Temple which is part of my son's every day window views. 
Now there is no doubt, this is city living. A lot of history with a lot of changes in 5 years... 
Mormon Temple in foreground

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great place to live, for a younger person. I get overwhelmed by the energy of the city and can only handle it in small doses.

    ReplyDelete