Friday, September 2, 2016

FOTO FRIDAY: I GIVE



FOTO FRIDAY this week involves our dog Romeo. He, like me, is semi retired.

Romeo has really slowed down but at about 100 years in human life and all he used to be in charge of, he is entitled. 

His main job was to protect the homestead keeping it clear of unwanted visitors. Nowadays he doesn't bother chasing squirrels/ chipmunks away from the feeders nor as you have heard keep the critters out of the chicken coop. And he rarely bothers with the deer in the garden/orchard nowadays. His hearing is shot and as for sight I can see the fog clouding his eyes... You get the idea, he's tired. 

But for some reason while accompanying Natureman on some woodcutting down our road this week, he cornered something. He apparently was barking a lot. I learned about this much later when similar behavior happened in front of the house. After hearing the ruckus I went to investigate and Romeo had brought home his friend.

Natureman and I couldn't get Romeo to come so we cornered him and got him into the house.  The poor critter, a wood chuck, had finally rolled on his back, panting heavily as if to say, " I give."



I had Natureman roll him over and we let him rest. 

I 'd like to report after resting a bit, he waddled back into the brush but the truth is, he didn't.  He permanently retired. 

The moral of the story/ FOTO FRIDAY: Sometimes we come out of retirement but sometimes it just isn't worth it... It's OK Romeo, I get it.

Last week's FOTO FRIDAY:HARVESTING

No comments:

Post a Comment