Wednesday, September 14, 2016

ANOTHER PROJECT ON THE BURNER

Earlier this summer I had a special garage sale find- 2 wonderful platform rockers. They took their place on the front porch replacing 2 of the tired rattan chairs. (You may remember when that rattan chair and table set were retrieved and saved from the dump by Natureman?) Anyhoo, the rattan set had served a couple lives and at least 2 re-paintings and were falling apart. I love rocking anyway and these rockers are really comfy.


Now, the new rockers with just one summer of southern exposure and weather ( Lordy we have had a lot of rain this summer!) have taken their toll on the old fabric and finish of the rockers. It's time for a makeover.

Seamstress friend Nancy helped me figure out how much fabric would be needed for the job. Languages I can handle but Math is not my forte and coming up short would not be good at all. Besides the cushion both the front and back of the chair is covered. The times two I could handle.


Botanical print for the porch rockers
Our only fabric store closed and JoAnn's Fabrics won't be in for awhile so yesterday I perused eBay for outdoor furniture material and came out with a fun floral fabric. It got a thumbs up from Natureman too. It should hold up well with the elements. BINGO.Thank you Internet.  
Did you know you can contact eBay vendors if you'd like special consideration? The vendor agreed to adjust shipping as I am ordering more than one yard and it will come in a continuous piece.  I can foresee some extra pillows too considering this fabric comes in a 54" width.

Meanwhile the old fabric will be removed, the wood sanded, restained and painted with a more protective sealant. If any of you have suggestions, do let me know.

 Hopefully by next summer you will see 2 made over painted ladies gracing either the front / screened in porches. Wish me luck! This will be one of those good winter projects here in the End of the Rainbow Valley and we do have way too much winter...


1 comment:

  1. Let me know how it goes. Some of the properties we're looking at in Arizona will require extensive renovations and I've often wondered about reupholstering.

    ReplyDelete