Wednesday, August 10, 2016

HAPPY CAMPERS

Today I got to see some parents reuniting with their children in addition to tons of campers and counselors hugging each other goodbye as they boarded busses to go home after finishing the last session of camp. You see I accompanied my friend Jennifer to the Northwoods to pick up her daughter, El, by 8:30 in the morning. We had spent the previous evening in Siren, Wisconsin.

The camp scene brought back many memories of not only my own children's camp days but also the myriad of summers when I was both a camper and a counselor many, many moons ago. For those who experienced sleep away camp know those summer experiences of independence were monumental. New friendships, sharing chores, trading clothes, camp food, learning teamwork, trying new activities,
 and of course, first crushes. A lot of both physical and mental growth occurred during those camp days changing us forever.

Many camp activities have been added but the camp camaraderie has always been something very special.  A very  tired, yet excited young lady shared 6 hours of stories with her Mom as we made our way back home.  I consider myself fortunate and thankful to have been able to witness their bonding after their weeks apart.

Yep, it also made me want to thank my Mom and Dad for sending me to camp.  There was definitely more than one happy camper on that car ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment