Monday, April 4, 2016

BOOM!

Actually it was more of a thud when friend Clara opened her front door and found me at the bottom of her front stoop on her sidewalk. It had been a drizzly, windy day and after ringing the bell, I was headed back to wait in the car when my right foot slipped from under me and down I went in slow motion in my mind... Choice words flying out of my mouth with thoughts of please don't let me break anything, my right palm tried to break my fall. The front edge of the last step clipped my lower back as my tail bone took the brunt of the fall onto the brick sidewalk.

"What happened?" she asked. All I could utter was, " I fell, can you get me Aleve?"  I knew I needed an anti-inflammatory quickly before the swelling started. It seemed an eternity before she returned with a welcomed quart size baggie of ice for the pain in my lower back and water to take the pill. I turned on the car's heated seat so my tailbone could also have some relief. Thank goodness Wal-greens wasn't terribly far away. I waited in the car as Clara ran in the store and returned with Arnica gel and tablets to be used for my palm, tail bone and small of my back in addition to the ice pack. 

I am so thankful for many things. First to not have split my head open/ broken anything. Definitely for Clara's care and help, (Arnica definitely helped. Both the pills and gel seem to have kept the bruising to a minimum) Saturday night's dinner arrived with friends Guy and Joan, and to have friend Joan's, a recently retired physical therapist, advice on some good stretching exercises, lifting, standing up and laying down instructions. Walking has helped tremendously.

Heck, there's never a good time to have back issues but it's spring, time to prep the garden.  A lot to do not only here in the End of the Rainbow Valley but also in Atlanta where I am headed this week to supposedly help my daughter with some wedding projects. As I said, bad timing-

Anyhow, add buying a suitcase with wheels and
a special pillow for the traveling. Four hours to Milwaukee in the car before the 2 hour plane trip. 

Today I am feeling my age. Hopefully the recovery be swift... Never a dull moment.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, that hurts just to read about it! Heal quickly so that you can enjoy all of those "Mom of the Bride" moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Arnica is great with bruising, I used it after my accident. Heat will continue to help. An epsom salts bath can also do wonders!
    Enjoy Atlanta!
    Susan Betts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meds helped me accomplish more than I could have imagined and a Kabootie made both the car and plane trips bearable.

      Delete
  3. Ow. This is never fun, especially with a long plane ride coming up. Hope all heals quickly. I can see the report now...the bride wore white and the mother was on drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Youch! I can relate to your "slow motion thinking." I've fallen several times (couple of times within the past year) and the same thoughts went through my mind. One time I broke my wrist, but was glad it wasn't worse. Now I try to be especially careful when stepping backwards (making sure the dog's bowl isn't in my way again!), walking down steps, etc. Never used to worry about that stuff. Hope you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Youch! I can relate to your "slow motion thinking." I've fallen several times (couple of times within the past year) and the same thoughts went through my mind. One time I broke my wrist, but was glad it wasn't worse. Now I try to be especially careful when stepping backwards (making sure the dog's bowl isn't in my way again!), walking down steps, etc. Never used to worry about that stuff. Hope you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel better quick! Wishing you all a hearty Mazel Tov on the wedding! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aura. This was a pre wedding visit with a nice to do list. We did make a dent. I am so excited for the big day in May.

      Delete