Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Bask with the Pasque...

Right before the last snowfall dumped on the Coulee region, my first crocus had emerged. Natureman had seen it open but by the time I took a look it had already closed up for the night. 



The irony was that the first bloom was a white crocus of all things and the snow came shortly thereafter.

 
When the snow melted new blooms had joined the first one. They really outdid themselves this year.




 It reminded me since it was Easter weekend, we needed to make our annual ridge hike to see the small Pasque flower colony on the ridge's point. Perhaps it was a bit early since we hadn't seen the Bloodroot yet. BUT lo and behold a friend posted a Pasque flower colony photo found north of here on their FB page. So, they must be blooming since we are farther south. With another beautiful afternoon we completed our trek to the point and found some Pasque blooms. 

                       Here they are basking in the sunshine.



It always amazes me how something so delicate can grow in rock outcroppings. 

OK, it's official. Spring has sprung here in the End of the Rainbow Valley.

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing that wild flowers love to surprise us...early and late. I am a bit surprised that my lilacs are beginning to bud--does this mean that morels can't be too far behind. I almost fainted when I saw that morels had already been seen in WI...in Fish Creek! http://morelhunters.com/index.php/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me how tough those delicate looking flowers can be.

    ReplyDelete