Tuesday, February 2, 2016

WITHDRAWAL

OKAY,  I'll admit it hasn't been easy not writing daily entries but I am staying at my Arkansas childhood home where we no longer have wireless access. And if you thought I was dedicated enough to write on my phone, I didn't miss it that much... 

Another admission is about lust, not Jimmy Carter's lust but foodie lust in my heart after seeing a FaceBook posting re: a Oaxacan dinner being offered at Trio's restaurant in Little Rock a couple months back. I had drooled over their menu.

You see last night I lucked out as an open seat become available at another sold out Oaxacan dinner demo at Eggshells in my old Heights stomping grounds in Little Rock. 
Maguey's in the green bottle 
Capi, owner of the popular eatery Trio's and high school buddy had recently spent 10 glorious days in Mexico with her brother Tony studying Oaxacan cuisine in the local market places and kitchens.  Capi shared some background info regarding this southern Mexican region and its cuisine. Meanwhile we sipped on Maguey, mescal of the agave family from the same plant as tequila. 
Sal de gusano (worm salt) was added for extra flavor. 
guacamole with chips
We were very fortunate to be treated to a labor of love after two full days of prep work to share Cap's yummy guacamole (secret ingredient- tomatillos) Mexican Rice/ arroz (be sure and fry rice before adding other ingredients), frijoles negros, tamales de pollo con mole and a bread pudding called Capirotada. Delish.

Oaxacan meal
Since Oaxaca is in a tropical zone, banana leaves are plentiful and definitely add a different flavor than the otherwise traditional Mexican tamales wrapped in cornhusks. Cut squares of the banana leaf are used to envelope the masa (Mexican corn flour)  
and cooked meat (we had chicken tamales) and topped off with mole (pronounced moh-lay) sauce. I have extolled the virtues of the complicated chocolate based chile mole sauce before. (My favorite birthday dinner is pollo con mole/chicken in mole sauce)
Steamed tamal- banana leaf wrapped and tied around masa, chicken and mole sauce
unwrapping the tamal
The mole sauce can be made ahead and even frozen as it takes a good five hours to make. (I am not sure how long the concentrated paste can be stored in the fridge.) Three Mexican states, Puebla, Tlaxcala and Oaxaca are known for the origin of mole. Although ingredients may vary all contain: spices such as chiles & garlic, Mexican chocolate, nuts and fruit. The ground blended sauce is traditionally served atop meat. 

The recipe we received for the tamales will make about 150 so I probably will half it which would still be plenty. You can freeze tamales. Just let them thaw in the fridge and steam the hour and a half cooking time for the masa. I am anxious to give it a try one winter day upon my return. Don't worry, I can guarantee you'll hear about it and know how the recipe works for me...

1 comment:

  1. It sounds good but too complicated. Marti would enjoy this - I'm lost after five ingredients....except for your one pot spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete