Wednesday, January 13, 2016

WHO BLINKED FIRST?

                                                                                                     From December through the winter months eagle sightings are common place as these majestic birds are more obvious on the deciduous tree branches/ on the frozen Mississippi back waters where they share fishing with the ice fishermen.

No matter how often I see bald eagles, they never cease to mesmerize me whether they're just sitting in a nearby tree scouting the area for food/ soaring above me at home in the End of the Rainbow Valley or driving into 'town'. 

Yesterday I sighted this eagle hanging out next to the road all 'puffed up' against the cold. We basically looked like twins with my layers of winter garb protecting me from the '0' degree high day. I pulled over and just watched him from within the car.  When it was apparent he wasn't flying off right away, his attention focused on me. It was a 'staredown.' You know, what we used to call one of those Kodak moments. Dang and my camera was on the backseat, out of my grasp. This meant I had to get out of my recently warmed up car if I was going to try and take his photo. I had to pull off my mittens (Grrr.... of all days to have worn mittens instead of gloves.) I would need to snap the shot quickly once I grabbed the camera. I locked in his stare, challenging his curiosity as I carefully opened the driver's door slowly and edged backwards, keeping him in my sight while I opened the back door. He wasn't moving. I fumbled with one hand inside my purse grabbing the cold camera. Double dang, I had left my purse in the car overnight and the camera was really cold. Anyhow I wouldn't take the time to zoom in for the first shot. Shot number one. He didn't take flight.

Stare down time... Who would win?
Then as if saying "that pic made my neck look fat, here's my better side," he turned his head, waited for me to zoom in a bit. Click. Got him. He wasn't moving but I had to get moving. It was COLD.


So I get to share with you another one of the many perks of living here in one of the most beautiful regions in the U.S. Even if winter is colder than this Southern gal would like, nothing beats Life in the End of the Rainbow Valley.

By the way, I blinked first.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for risking frostbite and hypothermia by braving the elements for this shot...great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. This southerner thanks you for the compliment as you two smart snowbirds have escaped this lovely weather to be in the heat of the southern states.

      Delete