Monday, December 14, 2015

OY POOR NEIGHBORS... OY TO THE WORLD

Our new neighbors had no clue what they were in for when they asked if the plastic soldier standing guard on the hill across from their barn was ours. You see our last neighbors had moved their life sized toy soldier off their front porch when they put their house up for sale. He has since stood as sentry roadside braced to a tree.

It was obvious the new neighbors were pleased as punch to hear soldier boy wasn't ours and from their comments the poor 6 foot bronzy plastic figure Babes in Toyland look a like would be demoted to the dump. Dang. I had been dying to dress him up as Uncle Sam for the Fourth of July.  Natureman had convinced me otherwise as he felt we should get to know the new neighbors before committing a prank...

Gee willikers. Now they had mentioned this thorn in their side. What to do? Fess up. Well, I just told them I was really looking forward to dressing the soldier for the holidays." which was received by a less than enthusiastic bewildering look and a "Uh, okay."  I do have to mention that a couple weeks later I noticed Soldier Boy was donning a huge pair of google eyes and NO, I did not place them there. Game on.

I couldn't wait for October to get here so Soldier Boy could transform into a cow. His big hat was an issue so I created a mask for the cow and stretched the kids' s ole cow costume on as best as I could. The story was he was dressing up as a cow to catch the cow rustlers. Humor me. It took a good week before the neighbors asked me if I knew when/how Soldier Boy had become a cow. In November Soldier Boy not so mysteriously became a turkey, what else? 


Hair wasn't on for this Rebbe's hat.
December rolled around and it seemed the obvious choice would be- No, not Santa but a Chasid, a very religious orthodox jew, a black hatter. Who else would find his way to the middle of nowhere? 

A young friend, Asher, was commissioned to make me a black duct tape hat but in the meanwhile I combined a stocking cap & black foam board for the big brimmed hat, black shawl for hair albeit missing in the pic, black yarn for a beard and long sideburns and gold wire ribbon for his spectacles.
His greeting card reads "OY to the world." Since you well know how meshugenah( CRAZY)  the world is acting! And yeah, I must be living proof with these outfit changes. Anyhow-
October was very mooving...
November Gobbler

SHALOM and all our best
wishes for a Happy Holiday Season from the End of the Rainbow Valley...

1 comment: