Monday, December 28, 2015

KEMURI

As I've previously mentioned I really appreciate good, fresh food, especially food I wouldn't normally prepare/have at home. So when Little Rock friends suggested a new contemporary addition to Little Rock's Asian dining scene, (owned by Jerry Barakat who I remember from many moons ago from his original middle eastern food endeavor, The Terrace in west Little Rock's Breckenridge Plaza)- Anyhow, I was stoked to join my friends at
located in Little Rock's Hillcrest neighborhood on Kavanaugh. I am assuming the namesake is after the ska band of the 90's known for its positive lyrics.
One can never have too much positivity these days...

The restaurant offers an upscale ambience where the diner can choose to sit at the long Sushi bar and watch dinner being made/be seated in the main dining area. We opted for the latter.

Our gregarious waiter suggested we take advantage of the Bloody Mary/ Mimosa bar. Not a huge fan of tomato juice (must be all the tomatoes we grow) I was the only one of the group to go Mimosa. The server brought a flute of the bubbly to the table and off we all went to the drink mix island of possibilities.
Bloody Mary Bar
Not being well versed in drink mixing, I was at a bit of a loss and could have used some quantity and combo suggestions for my Mimosa. The red of the raspberry and pomegranate sauces looked good with a cherry for good measure. Did I have to add orange juice? 

Sundays offer a brunch menu (the tea pancakes sounded interesting) in addition to robata, slowly grilled charcoal foods and of course, sushi. Our table decided on two appetizers, a well seasoned battered calamari with mango and cilantro and steamed mussels with lemon grass in a thai basil chili coconut sauce. 


Kemuri Roll
I opted for the Kemuri Roll after having read a couple reviews on line highly recommending it. 
You know me being about presentation so   aesthetically this choice was way too busy for me. I am not a purist but Japanese to me is about simplicity.
Kemuri Roll piece
The Kemuri roll consisted of tempura tuna, blue crab, cream cheese, mango, jalapeño avocado, crab stick and 3 sauces. The sushi pieces were not mouth size bites. Easily adjustable for the chef.

We added a tasty variety with the Kemuri combo (pictured below) and the brunch omelette.


Our table's dessert of choice was a Capucchino Jar. I wish I had had room for it. 

So, would I go back and give it a second chance?

Absolutely, creativity for the palate offers a new dining experience and the conversation time with old friends always adds to the positivity of that experience. Give it a try and let me know your favorites.





No comments:

Post a Comment