Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Out of Our Hands...

Today I will be heading back home to Wisconsin. This had been an unplanned trip to Arkansas. My Mom's waning health had warranted a couple trips from the senior home where she resides on an Alzheimer's floor to the hospital and as I mentioned last week  Tuesday night returned to the Home with hospice care.

What I didn't mention was that my brother Marc's sweet mother-in-law, Leaine, was placed on hospice the previous Friday. That's two Moms (and I might mention his family dachshund) who are all on hospice.  I could hear it in his voice, he needed some relief.  

I got busy finding a flight south and figuring out where I would stay. Did you know when you buy last minute tickets it's cheaper to buy one way rather than a round trip? I didn't. Anyhow,

Wednesday, my Mom's first day of Hospice, I was back in the Rock and thanks to friends, housed. The week has been full of visits to be with my Mom but more importantly to be some company for my Dad. We have visited all of his favorite eateries and I have been able to help do some house tasks that needed attention while giving my brother Marc a bit of a break, at least from our family demands. 

My youngest sibling, Keith, also came in from Texas for a couple of days so we decided to celebrate my Mom's birthday a couple weeks early. The home provided a private dining area for us to have lunch. We all sang Happy Birthday including Mom.  She even ate some, unusual as she really doesn't have an appetite anymore. 

Sitting in her special wheel chair we all shared a dinner table as a family of five as we had for so many years. I don't know how many more times this will be possible because as you know some things are just out of our hands... 


6 comments:

  1. Sending love to you, your father and brothers. These are hard times. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you well know it's never easy watching the change in a loved one.

      Delete
  2. You and your family are in my thoughts and blessings. May you be present and be there for each other as some of your journeys are ending. I know that there are moments when our emotions overwhelm us, but I have always taken comfort in the the commonness of death. It is something we all do, making it the most democratic of experiences. May we all have a good and interesting journey, well ended, surrounded by those who love us, and remembered fondly by many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are difficult times and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete