Wednesday, October 28, 2015

H is for Hospice

Today the letter "H" is not about the holiday Halloween although it is this weekend. "H" is for Hildegard, my Mom. That same letter "H" of her name has morphed into the word 'Hospice' for our family. Today is my Mom's first day in hospice.  

Early last night the hospital ambulance returned my Mom to her room at the senior home but the difference was she was tucked into bed by a hospice worker.
Within a year her home of over 55 years changed from Grant Street to a senior home on an Alzheimer's floor and today, a new way of living, hospice. 

My brothers and I knew my Dad would come to the same difficult conclusion we had a couple months ago that our Mom's, his wife of over 60 years, health was in a downward spiral with the loss of appetite and weight, both her physical and cognitive abilities were waning. The disease was taking its course and no medicine was going to fix it. Her doctors and my Dad concurred yesterday.

Now with the decision made comes relief. 'Comfort' will be the operative word with a respectful care only hospice can offer.  We are thankful "H" can be for hospice.

6 comments:

  1. Karen, Making that decision by you and ultimately by your Dad was a great gift to the entire family. Her remaining time can be peaceful and loving, not stressing about decisions. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this difficult time with her, but I'm glad it sounds like you found one you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hospice is incredible and do so much to ease the suffering of both the person facing their death and the family nearby. It is a much more gentle journey than that of the medical route trying to maintain life at all costs. They seem to view death as a failure when it can be a beautiful transition into the next experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful reflection
    She is gifted to have such a family who looks out fir her comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, and all of your family, I am thinking of you all and, having been in a similar journey, I wish your remaining time together to be as gentle as possible.

    ReplyDelete