Monday, July 13, 2015

Fast Tootsies

Isn't it great when you get to experience something you didn't even plan? I had taken a detour yesterday and saw signs for a 'Roleo.' Isn't it weird that whoever made the signs didn't catch the spelling error. Then it dawned on me this wasn't a misspelling it really was a 'Roleo .' This was the 8th Annual Log Rolling Tournament! Serendipity strikes again.



Thinking back on it now, I actually had heard it advertised on the radio this past week. OK, I had time to run my errand and return to watch this log rolling competition in an historic logging site no less. 

Dark clouds were looming and some of the crowd must have been dissuaded as it was no problem finding a close parking place. Lucky me. 

Let me just say it was really impressive. Once one of my students had listed log rolling as her extra curricular sport. It intrigued me and now I had the opportunity to actually see it in person. There are some really skillful log rollers out there both amateur youth and adults. 9 men and 13 women were competing Saturday with some world champions amidst them.

The announcer educated us novice spectators and explained the sport's terminology.   





Warming up was pretty obvious in its meaning but below are some other terms I remember being used and learning about yesterday:




Bucking, when the 2 competitors are facing opposite directions on the log fighting over different directions of the log. 

Back stepping is running backwards on the log and Back peddling is more difficult.



Draw, when both competitors feet leave the log at the same time so there is no one winner.

Fall when one competitors feet leave before their opponent




Crowding the Center Line end of log will submerge making it difficult to roll.  


Foul - breaking of rule ( I got that one)

Front Step, running on the log

Running Match- rollers facing same direction/looking over opposite direction,  spending majority of time running.

Time in- match time starts by the judge

The day's winners will go on to the next competition,  Lumberjack World Championship in Hayward, Wisconsin in two weeks. I can only imagine the caliber of those competitors.

It was really special to watch.

Here's a local station's blurb so you can see logrolling in action: Saturday's Roleo Footage





1 comment:

  1. It's quite an art. I tried it once....stayed up for about 5 seconds.

    ReplyDelete