Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Dying Tradition?

I used to write an annual Holiday Newsletter and as my moves increased so did my mailing list. The tradition of updating friends and family members actually started with my folks when I was born accompanied by memories of a fireplace living room wall adorned with reciprocal holiday wishes as I grew up on Grant Street in Arkansas. 

Dad arranged the photo sessions and eventually added composing those seasonal letters while Mom did the secretarial part, adding personal notes along with stuffing, addressing and posting. Using a dampened sponge to seal those envelopes/add stamps   (pre-self adhesives) was part of my involvement as a kid. So you could say I grew up with the annual holiday greeting.

Now due to my Mom's declining health, the phone has replaced  the mail system to keep in touch with a smaller amount of those friends and family members as time has whittled their list away. In fact since my Mom's blindness, they don't wait for the holiday season but spend much of each day on the phone. 

Many people have quit using snail mail to send greetings for a myriad of reasons, myself included.  Now, other technology is used for us to keep in touch. It's kind of sad in a way.  Whoever thought letter writing would become a dying tradition?

This year's received Season's Greetings
Thanks to those of you who continue to aid our failing postal system.  I  don't think I am alone in cherishing opening real mail, reading your news and seeing the family photos. Like my folks, I tape them up to enjoy during the holiday season... 

Allow me to use the blog world to wish you and yours a very Happy and Healthy New Year. Don't forget to stay in touch however you choose with both family and friends. Just stay in touch.

                                     Happy 2015!





1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year to you, Karen. We are leaving in ten days, let's try to connect for lunch late April when we get back. Marti

    ReplyDelete