Thursday, October 23, 2014

They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To

I am back in Little Rock again and it wasn't because I needed a home fix... My flights were not only on time but once again got me into both airports a bit early. And that was a good thing because I needed to be timely at my Little Rock destination as I had a funeral to attend... a member of my extended family, Sonny Marvin Cohen left this earthly world at 93 years old. 

I have known Sonny long before he became my brother Marc's father-in-law. You see Sonny was one of those people that even as a kid from my early years at the downtown shul I knew Sonny's presence  at every Shabbos (Sabbath), holiday and synagogue event. He knew he had a special obligation which he embraced as a Cohen (literally translated priest in Judaism "a member of the priestly class, having certain rights and duties in the synagogue."

I especially remember him towering over me with his 6 ft stature in a white apron and chef's hat in the shul kitchen and handing out whatever he and the Men's Club had cooked for that synagogue meal whether it would be latkes (potato pancakes)/brisket always with a smile after an entire day of cooking.

Sonny had a presence. A stern look when children got too rowdy in services or a laugh that I can't duplicate after he had shared a joke or funny story. And I heard a lot of them over some 55 years of my life...

Sonny not only served his religious congregation but he also had served his country in WWII, was a Lion's Club member for eons and uber Red Cross volunteer serving as chairman for many years.

His participation in the Red Cross impressed me so much, I not only joined the Red Cross Club in high school but became club president to help organize care kits for servicemen and disaster victims and organize blood drives where I always saw Sonny putting in extra hours. And I remember his family being there was him to at these events. His children and grandchildren continue the generous volunteerism he modeled so well.

Sonny Cohen was a family man, married over 60 years to Leaine, his bride, and father to Terri (my sister-in- law,) Perry and Jerry. He loved and continued fishing with his boys for as long he could physically manage. 


Cricket, his dog, kept him company at home
In addition to all this, his daytime job was being a podiatrist at the Little Rock Foot Clinic where he worked until he was 88 and health dictated him to retire. My sister-in-law took over his practice which he built and served 1000's with hopes to convince a grandchild one day to take over the practice.
Granddaughter Becky and Sonny 

As his granddaughters extolled his virtues at his memorial service 
I witnessed an overflowing funeral home with people who were all touched by his life like me and were there to pay respect to a real"Mensch," a person of honor and integrity. We that knew him, will all miss Sonny.


They just don't make 'em like that anymore...






3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful person to have in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Cohen was truly a great man.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were blessed to have him as part of your life, he sounds very special.

    ReplyDelete