Thursday, September 18, 2014

PTSD

I don't know if you like me thought someone had to go through war to suffer from PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Perhaps it's just when we as a public starting hearing about this disease was when our servicemen returned from combat and the demons came with them The term PTSD started being used in the late 70's/early 80's ... 

Actually more than 50% of us will experience trauma sometime in our lives yet not all trauma leads to PTSD.  Here are various factors of a traumatic event that can lead to PTSD:



  • The intensity of the trauma
  • Being hurt or losing a loved one
  • Being physically close to the traumatic event
  • Feeling you were not in control
  • Having a lack of support after the event

  • It is a disease which can be treated but not completely cured. The sufferer learns coping skills as the disease's symptoms are triggered. If you were in combat triggers might include a simple slam of a door/ a car back fire/a plane flying overhead. The sufferer is hypervigilant never sitting with a back to the door, needing a full view of a room, etc...

    So why my interest/ mention of PTSD? Well, I have a confession to make...
    I was in the passenger seat and Natureman was driving.
    Two years ago, some may remember, Natureman and I were in a rollover car accident after being rear ended by a teenaged texter. I've  always said we were lucky to have been able to walk away from that accident with just stitches... But the truth for me is I will always carry the scars from that day besides the one on my stitched up finger. You see PTSD has become part of my daily life. I have to cope with PTSD every time I get in a car/ anticipate a car trip or even see broken glass. 

    There are numerous symptoms/signs of the disease. I definitely have 7 of these, 8 possibly, hence the diagnosis by a professional therapist whom I see to learn to implement coping skills. 


       - Feeling upset by things that 
        remind you of what
        happened...

  • Having nightmares, vivid memories, or flashbacks of the event that make you feel like it’s happening all over again
  • Feeling emotionally cut off from others
  • Feeling numb or losing interest in things you used to care about
  • Becoming depressed
  • Thinking that you are always in danger
  • Feeling anxious, jittery, or irritated
  • Experiencing a sense of panic that something bad is about to happen
  • Having difficulty sleeping
  • Having trouble keeping your mind on one thing
  • Having a hard time relating to and getting along with your spouse, family, or friends

  •  I felt this was important to share so you realize it's not just our servicemen that are coping but many others suffer from PTSD.



  • 7- 8% of the population will have PTSD at some point in their lives.
  • About 5.2 million adults have PTSD during a given year. This is only a small portion of those who have gone through a trauma.
  • Women are more likely than men to develop PTSD. About 10% of women develop PTSD sometime in their lives compared with 5% of men.

  • So if you and I happen to be riding together in a car and I start zoning out/ counting signs/ changing the subject to cope with a trigger, you'll understand. A big hint is if I ask to drive since I really don't like driving that much. Now you'll know if I get weird about who's driving. If I am tired, it's accentuated. Poor Natureman has to deal with a serious back seat driver being in the front seat all the time next to him. I have learned a lot about 'mindfulness' and as long as I can implement, I'm on board... For as much as I love where I live, I want to have the choice and ability to feel safe leaving the End of the Rainbow Valley...

    2 comments:

    1. Feel your pain.
      Wish I could take some away.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I can relate completely having been a battered woman. I remember defending my emotions to someone who didn't believe that my pain was as great as that suffered by a soldier...until I pointed out that perhaps it hurts worse to be beaten by someone you vowed to love for the rest of your life. I have friends with this diagnosis based on childhood abuse and it's a very serious condition. I didn't know you were suffering in this way but admire the manner in which you continue to get out there and go places in spite of your fear.

      ReplyDelete