Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Extra Critters?

There's one thing we have plenty of and that's critters.  Some days they are more obvious than others. Usually a full moon brings them out in force and Romeo, our ever companionable dog and watchdog is busy working overtime during his night shift. 


Roadkill is also 'up' as the creatures don't understand car traffic so besides racoons, I noted the skunk population has been decreased.  Daytime has its share of visitors too when Romeo is too busy sleeping off the night before. Deer, muskrat, etc...

Take for example, Saturday when out the guest bedroom's window I spy 4 of the largest wild turkeys I have yet to see out here in the End of the Rainbow Valley. I called for Natureman to come take a look. He was also very surprised to see such healthy 'big' birds and and wondered aloud if he could get them into the coop. I'm thinking to myself like, WHY?  He must be able to read my mind as he voiced aloud that now he understands why they were so desirable to those colonists...  Oh dear. Run turkeys, run. The did go back into the woods after grazing.

But wait, the excitement for the day wasn't over.  A city friend had lent me her patio umbrella to use this weekend which I really did appreciate. What I didn't really appreciate is that an extra creature accompanied it. As I was rearranging things in the car and removed the umbrella, lo and behold, there attached to the material was something brown and furry. It didn't move until I shook it off the umbrella. Then it stretched a bit ever so slowly. A little brown bat. 


Great, as if we didn't have enough critters and needed a city bat no less. Well, at least there will be less mosquitoes. Thank goodness he didn't decide to take flight with me in the car.  That would not have been a pretty picture. I certainly hope he didn't have any siblings/friends who dropped off earlier in the car either. If so, you will be sure to hear about it. 

Never a dull moment.

1 comment:

  1. That's funny because when I had a patio umbrella that's exactly where the resident bat would sleep as well. Better in the umbrella than in the house.

    ReplyDelete