Thursday, January 30, 2014

Stuffed like a Sausage

One sure thing when you are away from home is how your diet changes.  I know I 've mentioned that we tend to eat a lot more at home than most but when we do go out, I usually order something I wouldn't fix at home. 
Creme Brulee a la Sara
This getaway I definitely ate and I also ate more than usual which included desserts, ethnic dishes and bar fare - translating to a lot more calories. If not now, when?

My most memorable dessert of the trip was Sara's yummy creme brulee.  I should probably call her Flame Thrower as she caramelized the top, melting the sugar with a mini torch just like the pros. 
I had the 'best' huge chili dog at Grease Wood Flat after our Pinnacle Peak hike. What was I thinking eating so heavy? Boy I was tasting onions into the evening.

 It didn't deter me from having a a tasty Pizzeria Bianco slice of pizza that evening with fresh caprese salad.  Lunch the following day at Filly's was fried gizzies. Gee nobody at the crowded table would even try them. It was up to me to finish the basket full... 



Dinner at Pei Wei's (a P.F. Chang subsidiary) new addition of Thai Lettuce wraps graced my plate as we sat wok side to see the jumping flames as the cooks worked at a frenzied pace with all the orders. 


Pei Wei's Thai crunchy tasty lettuce wraps whetted my appetite for more Thai food so Marilyn introduced me to her favorite Thai place, Tempe's Yupha's, where the eggplant dish  was out of this world. I'd love to be able to replicate that sauce. 





We must have been hungry because we polished off an appetizer and two entrees even after a late lunch.  

Ah yes I almost forgot to mention that late lunch at The Farm...

In this big city sits a large piece of land where plots of greens are organically grown  for  their restaurants and CSA members. I had eaten a scrumptious breakfast here my last visit and sharing a Tuscan sandwich and humongous piece of carrot cake hit the spot this time. It's a great place to picnic and many a wedding is held on the premises.

Well, when all is said and done, the main thing about food is it's a social event and what's better than to share that experience with friends no matter where you are? 











3 comments:

  1. You're going to need the extra insulation for when you return to Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has always been my approach - eating my way across the country. I want to visit Grease Wood Flats now - it looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete