Monday, December 9, 2013

The Gift of Giving

Chances are when the phone rings at dinnertime at this time of the year it will be  a solicitor for some charity. And as peeved as I am that dinnertime is being interrupted, I understand. Charities are hurting as donations are down and let's be honest, the need is greater. 

Every Christmas my Jazzercise class has collected gifts for a needy family. These families don't have the option of second jobs just to provide their families with more items for under their trees/vacations in the Dells but their need is for survival items. Their requests are for gas cards, shoes and yes, even cleaning rags. Our group's generosity has exceeded the requests and now we take on 2 families.

So excuse me if I am baffled why the very same exercise group still insists on a gift exchange at our Christmas Luncheon instead of taking that gift money and just donating it to the food pantry/ shelters. Some members did suggest this.  Seriously, do we really need one more candle/ ornament? 

And you know it's not just my exercise group. There is something innate. Is it from our childhoods? Is it the receiving of the 'unknown' present? 

True confessions: I love seeing beautiful wrapping jobs coming from a household where I never saw a present wrapped in 'new' paper. I am in awe how others can rip open a gift. OK it's an ecologically good thing the popular gift bag can be re-gifted but there's something special about the effort put into wrapping a present.



And there is gorgeous Christmas paper. Seeing people's trees with beautifully wrapped presents underneath is 'the gift' in my eyes.

And then  I swear, cross my heart, a gift package arrived in the mail with the best stuffing and box for starting that fireplace fire. We were more ecstatic over the stuffing than discovering the gift we would receive inside. Gee things change when you depend on wood to heat.

Anyhow, this month my folks will be the beneficiaries of a donation made to Heifer for their anniversary. Deep down I know they'd rather have a gift to open. Maybe I should put the gift card in a box. Do you think they'd like that better?



Oh well, May we all be just as gracious in giving as in receiving. 'Tis the season. May our generosity last all year round... wrapped or not.










1 comment:

  1. Tis the season of giving, but I agree...sometimes it can get so out of control. We stopped the craziness within the family years ago with the exception of any small children.

    ReplyDelete