Thursday, December 12, 2013

Healing Arts

You know how you can be in the right place at the right time sometimes? Well that happened to me again at one of our hospitals, Gundersen Lutheran where I was going in for an appointment.  They have a program in their main waiting area on the first floor that has this sign.


One entire wall of the space consists of windows so the light is really spectacular. There is a grand player piano that usually entertains those passing through / enjoying a sweet from the coffee shop at one end with tables although there are numerous seating possibilities.

The last event I happened upon was an art show showcasing items entered by employees. One usually never knows people's hidden talents and hobbies. Well I was fortunate to see all the wonderful craftmanship. Viewers could place a vote for their favorite piece. Below are a couple of my favorites...



The gorgeous workmanship of both was breathtaking.

I am pretty sure the 17 foot kayak made of cedar, basswood, cherry and ash crafted by a gentleman in Enviromental Services won the People's Choice Award.

It was a treat. Well this time when I was walking through there setting up were 3 harpists. I was a tad early for my appointment so I stopped to listen and this a little of what I heard is in a link below at the end of the entry.  I needed to leave for my appointment but it was nice to see aides rolling patients down to listen to the holiday music. Then upon my return stroll, I heard singing coming from the area and there was the UW-L  Choral Union with 4 familiar faces from different parts of my life in La Crosse, my former head of department and her husband, a fellow congregant and someone I know from Dance Club.


 The Chorale sounded great and their audience had grown since the harpists.

I did a bit of investigating to discover the 'Healing Arts' program has been in existence for 5 years and is spear-headed by Service Excellance which concerns itself with the total patient experience. Community volunteers provide a variety of entertainment especially during the entire month of December from school performing arts,  brass  and wind ensembles, to even programming for the Hospital employees Childcare group. Patients/ their guests don't stay long but I am sure they appreciate the arts coming to them.

 I am happy to know the hospital provides this possibility for both their employees and their patients and hey that I was able to enjoy it too. It just goes to show timing is everything...

Here's the link I promised: Healing Arts Harpists

1 comment:

  1. I might know one of the harpists, a young lady from the camera club. My friend Beth Rose has some of her stained glass pieces in various departments that she did in memory of her parents.

    ReplyDelete