Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Getting Lucky?

Yesterday I mentioned being involved in the castration process of goat kids but didn't mention why besides it 's tough for one person to hold the kid still and do the procedure at the same time. It ensures against aggressiveness if you catch my drift... ( This is a G-rated blog)

The female goat it so happens has a 18-21 day cycle. It's pretty obvious when a doe is ovulating due to flagging (tail wagging) and 'boisterous' behavior. They just don't shut up... I am not pulling your leg, it's true. 

You might recognize the guy and the animal in the picture below. Yep that's Natureman carrying Mancha because she is going on a ride... Do note he's taking his car, not mine. I just wanted to point that out.
  

She looks pretty complacent, doesn't she? Do you think she has any clue what's going to happen besides the car ride to our friend Donna's farm where she will stay a good month? 

Natureman adjusts that plastic floor covering for his passenger.  

Do you have an idea? 

You see Mancha will be introduced to Donna's buck, Hef, (short for Hugh Hefner, the playboy magnate) and in five months by the end of May/ early June there could be the sound of little hooves here in the End of the Rainbow Valley...

I am pretty sure I heard Mancha humming I'm in the Mood for Love as the car drove out of the valley.

3 comments:

  1. Hot date for Mancha, must see the kids when they are born. So how did "Got your Goat" phrase get started Ms. Chaseburgmama? Curious minds wanna know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the homework Hannah Dove and you know I have my own life experiences of how certainly farm phrases originated. My immediate thought was if you ever have needed to catch a goat and they know it, it's not so easy. It's like chasing a toddler and playing Catch Me if You Can. I have started my research though... stay tuned for tomorrow's entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice that Mancha gets to go away for a romantic month with Hef. I can't wait to see the photos of the little ones in the spring!

    ReplyDelete