Thursday, November 28, 2013

Getting Wiser with Old Age...

As I am working on my 60th year of life sometimes I stop and pat myself on the back and appreciate that I actually have become a bit wiser... While I admire those that can throw a Thanksgiving meal together in a day, it doesn't work for me. I end up exhausted and grouchy and while I could end that way anyway cooking ahead has really helped ease the stress. The other most important revelation is, are you ready for this?

I don't need to do it all. I repeat, I don't need to do it all. Don't get me wrong Natureman is a big help without even being asked and I know I have raised very competent kids. So as holiday time planning started, I decided it was time to enlist everybody to be part of the festivities. The e-mail went out as to what dish each individual would like to make. Necessary ingredients would be provided. 

We gifted ourselves some for the first night of Chanuka
And you know what? It's been great. As soon as daughter Lori arrived on Tuesday, I was assigned 'sous chef ' status. One of her additions, the Cranberry White Chocolate Cheesecake would need 3 days to set. Done by the time we headed for our next airport run.

Eggs a la Salsa
The next morning son Steven took over preparing the eggs for breakfast. We all are helping hands but what a pleasure it has been to share the kitchen. Does it always taste better when somebody else cooks?


This delegation has also given us time to go do other things.  Steven's girl friend Karen ( yeah I know ironic, huh?)  came to visit us this year and after breakfast we went out for my ridge Amish tour, Coon Valley stops, oops I forgot Norskedalen is closed for deer hunting and a quick search for the last of the tundra swans. While we were gone, Natureman made Tuscan bread for lunch and the makings for the potato pancakes for dinner... 

Made ahead vegetarian chili and stuffed acorn squash were nuked for lunch while the bar b que brisket thawed for dinner and Simon's arrival. We played a couple board games while Natureman baked the latkes. 

Turkey Day Steven will make pigs in the blanket for a Packer game lunch and Simon's garlic mashed potatoes and Sam's green bean casserole will be equally appreciated gracing the Turkey Day Dinner.

And I didn't have to do it all. I bet you all got smarter a lot faster than I have, right?

Have a great Thanksgiving from End of the Rainbow Valley... 

        I am so thankful to have you all in my life.




1 comment:

  1. You planned it and spaced it out nice so you could actually enjoy the people for whom you are thankful...well done!

    ReplyDelete