Friday, August 9, 2013

Muddling Makes Mojito

None would say that I am known for being a drinker. In fact in my younger college days one drink would do me in.  I may have mentioned before I'm the kind of person that a half of a glass of wine puts to sleep. Now that's pretty exciting, right?  I  don't even drink enough water if the truth be known. But, if I have a choice when offered a mixed drink I do have some summer favorites like a Wine Cooler, Sangria, Gin & Tonic / maybe even a Cuban drink called "Mojito."

Beer would definitely never be on my drink preferences. I had my chance when I lived in Charleston to acquire the taste with that 'beachy' climate and it just didn't happen. I thought if it was hot enough maybe I could drink one but no such luck.   So isn't it hysterical that I won a sports bar 1/2 barrel keg of beer party in a Cancer fundraising raffle drawing this past week?

While some of you are still laughing, here's a recipe for a Mojito that you may want to try.

Piggy's Restaurant version
MOJITO time... Here's a recipe that's easy and refreshing on a summer day.

Makes 1 cocktail:

 10 fresh mint leaves
 1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges
 2 tablespoons white sugar, or to taste
 1 cup ice cubes
 1 1/2 fluid ounces white rum
 1/2 cup club soda

Directions:

Place mint leaves and 1 lime wedge in sturdy tall glass.
Use  muddler to crush mint and lime to release mint oils and lime juice. *
Add 2 more lime wedges and sugar.
Muddle again to release the lime juice.*
Do not strain the mixture.
Fill  glass almost to top with ice.
Pour  rum over  ice.
Fill the glass with carbonated water.
Stir, taste, and add more sugar if desired.
Garnish with the remaining lime wedge.


Anybody have any suggestions?

If you do need mint,  just let me know because we have a lot of it in the End of the Rainbow Valley. Now rum's another story, we'd have to go buy it since that's something we don't normally stock at home.


2 comments:

  1. One of my favorites too, I acquired a desire in Memphis, TN during a Jazz Fest weekend. Nothing could be finer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope - margarita is the only drink for me!

    ReplyDelete