Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Brother , Can you spare a dime?

Remember when you were supposed to always have a dime in your shoe in case you needed to phone home?

Why? Because a pay phone could be found just about anywhere like grocery stores, shopping centers/ restaurants/bars/ the like and even gas stations and for a thin dime you could make a call.

I do recall when the price went up to a quarter and then the last price I saw one up close was 35 cents last year outside of Lanesboro off a bike trail. It was a rare enough sight to see a pay phone out in the middle of nowhere that made me snap this picture.

In all honesty, I guess I haven't needed to make a pay phone call for awhile except until yesterday. So maybe it's all my fault and yours too...

So here's my story-  My folks were expecting a phone call at a prearranged time.

The only problem was when I reached into my purse at the designated hour, my cell phone was nowhere to be found.  Oh dear, I had left it in the other car.

OK no problem, I had a solution. I needed to mail a package and there's always a pay phone in a post office, right?  Especially a city's main Post Office and we are talking city, not Chaseburg.  Well, so I thought ...

After I made my transaction I inquired as to the whereabouts of the pay phone to the postal clerk. He replied that I was too late. Two months too late.  A quizzical look crossed my face. "Well" he said,  "the pay phone was removed 2 months ago as the telephone company had decided it wasn't being used enough as one of the four remaining in the entire city. Due to usage now of the once 100 pay phones it turns out only 3 remain and he had no clue where these were.

Wow. I certainly wasn't going to chasing all over the city looking for a pay phone. As I left the Post Office  I wished  there would be somebody I knew walking into the Post Office. A girl can wish, can't she?  No such luck and I headed for my car. As I was stepping off the curb there across the street someone was waving.  The sun was shining in my eyes so I squinted but still couldnt make out the face and there was somebody farther behind me, probably the intended for that wave. She hopped out of the truck and lo and behold it was one of my co- Pirates of the Chemotherapy cast members, Peace. My lucky day to have found Peace!  You know you gotta have Peace. Sorry I couldn't resist...

After a hug and quick how are you status take, I asked her if by any chance she had her cell with her and explained my predicament. She lent me her cell to call  Natureman whom I asked  to give my folks a heads up to let them know I wouldn't be calling at the designated time.

All have to say is Don't leave home without it... the cell phone that is because Honey you just might have a problem yourself finding that ever memorable pay phone even if you don't live in the End of the Rainbow Valley...






4 comments:

  1. Its a remember when moment, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think south side walmart still has one just in case you find yourself in that situation again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, all you are saying is Peace gave you a chance.

    ReplyDelete