Thursday, May 9, 2013

Staging? Staging what?

There's something I haven't mentioned and I may have misled you into thinking we live this quiet pastoral life.  I'm guilty by reason of omittance. I have neglected to tell you that the power company had  set up a staging area at my neighbors to the west about 2 miles away.



Yes, one of the neighbor's sons decided to rent a piece of their farm land to the power company for this purpose.  First, I noticed a new dirt road being built next to their house and thought it was rather strange/ perhaps they were building a new home although I certainly didn't think there was anything wrong with the nice house that was there.  The raised dirt drive seemed very overkill considering it led to the field. Then after asking around I was told that the power company had approached the owners since they needed a locale with access to the county highways. All I can say is they must have offered them a pretty penny because trailers and power company vehicles started filling up the once corn field and additions were made of tall security light poles and a huge gate roadside...

For months the trucks have been rolling out in the early ams from this area next to their house  and rolling back in at all hours until the early evening. The crews are busy replacing telephone poles and power lines all over the coulee.

Think of the amount of traffic this generates. All of the workers driving back and forth to work in their own vehicles and then getting in a company vehicle and riding back and forth to their job sites.  I used to have the road to myself coming and going in 'to town' .  There used to be the occasional Amish buggy to slow down for but now there's always utility trucks and equipment traffic.

This small county highway has really taken a beating with all this constant wear and tear. You can't even tell that it had been resurfaced a couple of years ago. It has also added to the noise pollution. I can't imagine living right next to it.

Anyhow, the news is the power company said that they are supposed to be done in a month and we hope to return the peace and quiet of the rural highway and living.  Good riddins' is all I can say. One gets really spoiled living in the country and the End of the Rainbow Valley.

1 comment:

  1. That has to be really weird to have so much commotion in your area of the world. Don't they realize that you are a sanctuary? A haven? Hopefully they will be gone soon.

    ReplyDelete