Friday, April 12, 2013

Take a Walk or Maybe I do mean Hike...

Goose Island trail 
Funny how optimistic I was a week ago as we took our walk on Goose Island marvelling at how quickly the snow was melting and anticipating the ground becoming firmer beneath our feet within the week.

And speaking of feet, I always get the "Are those the shoes you're wearing?" from Natureman. AND I always respond, "Well  yeah, we are just walking, right? You asked me if I wanted to go on a walk, NOT a hike." OK people this is just to walk down our mile driveway to get the mail/ some fresh air.

But when I go for a walk elsewhere and especially at this time of the year, I don't like ruining good shoes and yet I hate pulling on the major hiking boots and lugging around more weight. I already have extra Winter Weight if you know what I mean. So I got me some new walking shoes. We don't go to the Mall often but the shoe store was pulling me in after a great lunch at Hu Hut that needed to be walked off. Lo and behold there was a sale pile of shoes with a pair of sturdy walking shoes calling me in my size no less and get this, they were Earth shoes.  OMG the last time I bought a pair of  Earth shoes I was in my 20's.  Of course they had to come home with me.  They got broken in last Friday.

On the left my comfy New  EARTH walking shoes  
It was a bit squishy in certain very shady areas but overall the ground was firm. And when we got to the area where we can look out at all the birds, look at what we found. Yep, this Mississippi backwater area which is usually a feeding spot for the many different birds was still frozen solid and not a bird to be seen. Those birds were smart, they were all on the other side of the island where there were moving waters.



Well it was disappointing not to see any feathered friends but it was a great day for an early spring walk especially since this Friday, can you guess?
               
                                                     Yes, it is snowing again.


Minnesota got it worse but we won't be heading to see the Art in Bloom in Milwaukee today.  How disappointing.  Sleet besides slushy snow is predicted and some treacherous driving conditions. Saturday is supposed to be decent.  Winter why don't you just take a HIKE?

                                                         Come on SPRING!


1 comment:

  1. My goodness you are having awful weather there. We are almost to the Oklahoma border tonight, heading towards Branson MO to wait until the weather allows us northward migration.

    ReplyDelete