Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mud Season

You have heard me mention the sixth season here in Wisconsin. You know, Mud Season.  Wednesday it rained and I'll say poured most of the day for me as I travelled to the south of the state to observe a student intern. That's a lot of water. I noticed some mudslides along the route and I was leery of overflowing creeks as there have been flood warnings all week. Last week I showed you how high our creek bed was even though it subsided the next day.  After this rainfall I can assure you, the waters will  be up again...

All that water makes for some mighty soggy ground.  Unlike their English neighbors with their big ole heavy tractors, the Amish will be able to tackle their fields with their horse drawn hand plows a lot sooner .  
   


 And the fields are tired of being fallow. I hear them calling out, 'Where are our crops?'
The reality is that it's going to a while. Tractors are  heavy to say the least and for those that try to haul  soaking wet hay bales are probably going to suffer the same demise as Mr. Swanson's Oliver. Farmer Swanson said he is just going to have to leave the Oliver where it is and let Mother Nature do some drying  out...

Yep, Oliver might be there a while.


                                          What do you think?

1 comment: