Friday, March 22, 2013

KOSHER?

Speaking of Kosher especially trying to being strictly Kosher once a year has its limitations/ complications  if you live in the middle of nowhere. Passover is coming and I am far from ready... Monday is the first seder so there's oodles to do. Usually I am ready at least a week in advance and have already started beating the pans. How can it already be spring when it's still under 20 degrees?  How can I open the windows and air out the place/ clean windows for that matter?  Spring Cleaning? I am afraid it will have to be Winter Cleaning.


And Passover shopping?  Usually I make a trip to Milwaukee to do my Passover shopping but it just didn't work out this year.  It has been crazy with finishing up student teacher observations and just life. Natureman accompanied me to Rochester today to see 'what' we could find at Trader Joe's as far as Kosher meat for Passover.  And it looks like we are set. Here's one shelf in the fridge.


We eat far more meat this week just bc so much else is off limits/ it's Passover twin really doesn't do a great imitation. Actually the Kosher Passover products are improving. BUT sometimes it's just better to do without. Anything pasta like made for Passover can become literally like glue in a minute. It is not a pretty nor tasty result. Trust me on this.

I have to replace the taboo corn syrup in everything/yeast products with Pesadiche goods. Boy have the possibilities changed since even my Mother's day when she had to make everything from scratch.

I even have whole wheat matzo meal for making matzoh bagels. And with just once a year to eat them, they really do taste good.  I swear that they really smell heavenly baking. They probably taste better knowing they really look like that 'forbidden' bread.

My mother in law was the Queen of Passover desserts .  Of course I wasn't going to break it to her that half the ingredients she used weren't really for Passover.  Nowadays I don't spend time myself on desserts when I can just melt chocolate and pour it over a piece of matza/ buy the fruit slices, jellied candies with a coating of sugar. They would be the Jewish equivalent of Easter Peeps. Every child my generation would fight over their preferred flavor of those fruit slices. AND heck why make macaroons now when you can buy Chocolate Chocolate Chip macaroons? Heck maybe I am more ready than I thought...


Happy Passover from the End of the Rainbow Valley!

No comments:

Post a Comment