Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom



I am not really a car person but it certainly was a surprise when I discovered Natureman's 'car' knowledge.  It's baffles me how he can tell the model, year and engine size just like that. SO when CBS Sunday Morning featured the 'new' modern Corvette Stingray the non TV person Natureman was on it...   I guess this is a really big deal since it has only been redesigned 6 times in the last 50 years and hasn't come off the lines for a while.  The basic coupe will start about 51 K and the Z06 will start around 77,000. Natureman id'ed other models and truly appreciated the 450 horsepower and 450 lb feet of torque which translated means 'super-fast for this new model.

Apparently carbon fiber is the secret along with leather wrapped surfaces and the 'redesigned' signature tail lights. The hood is vented and finned and the updated dashboad even has a retracting LCD screen.

The first new Stingray to come off the assembly line  has already been bought by an aficcionado whose name is not an unknown if you're into cars. Besides numerous dealerships and sponsorships, Mr Hendrick's hobby is collecting vintage and muscle cars. Over half of his 300 car collection are Corvettes which are rotated in his Hendrick Heritage Center 'private' 58,000 sq ft space. '
Pretty impressive. 

His first date with his wife was in a Corvette that wouldn't start.  She did agree to go out with him again and ended up marrying him. He still has that first Corvette.  This reminded me of a date I had when I first started dating again in my late 40's... If you have already read about 'Corvette Boy' before you know the story- but if not here tis:

You see I would never let my dates pick me up at the house until I knew them better. So we would have a pre arranged meeting place like the restaurant... Anyhow, I had corresponded with this particular new guy a bit before deciding to go out. He kept on insisting on picking me up and I kept on saying, NO that we would meet at the restaurant. And we did, but then dinner was over and a concert on Summerfest grounds was next on the agenda. He started insisting again about him driving us and since it was only 6 blocks and we were downtown with lots of people around, I agreed.


 When we arrived at his parking spot, I immediately understood his insistence to drive as he wanted to 'show off' his vintage white corvette with its red interior. I had to chuckle to myself... These boys  and their toys. As I lowered myself into the seat I was  more worried about my skirt hiking up than being impressed by his car. Then when he turned the key, nothing happened. He tried again and there was still nothing. OOPS. Fortunately I saw two young 20 something bucks ( not deer,OK?) approaching. I  asked them if they could give us a push. Luckily  the car could be jump started and we were on our way. Apologetic and truly embarrassed Corvette Boy said that the car had been having some issues. I'm thinking so why bring it on the date? DUH. Anyhow as the concert neared its end I suggested maybe a prompt departure in case we might need another push. 'Oh no, that wouldn't be necessary,' Corvette Boy said as he defended his pride and joy. Well, wouldn't you know it as his Baby was dead as a doornail again. Thank goodness there were still folks around to help with that push. Unlike the Hendricks though it didn't push us to another date...

 I was holding out for a guy with  a real Chick magnet :

Yeah a Suzuki X90  ... you guessed it as this cartoon-like convertible came with my very own Natureman and a life in the End of the Rainbow Valley...

No comments:

Post a Comment