Thursday, January 17, 2013

To Shave or Not to Shave...

Through the years one definite descriptor for me would be my hair. How to find Karen...Oh, she's the one with the naturally curly hair. I had always kept it short. I tried to grow it out a bit in high school but Southern humidity always got the best of it. Within minutes the flattened straighter look was replaced by frizz. I always felt left out not being able to have bangs. Boy I used to try to look like everybody else.

The popularity of the 'fro' made my life so much easier. AND I was 'COOL.'   It was manageable and super easy to take care of in the mornings.  Basically pick it out and go. 

Then almost 4 years ago I decided to finally let my hair grow. Oh and that inbetween stage was not pretty.  The hairdressers said give it a year at least and don't cut it. Some friends were very encouraging. You look younger... Now how much more encouragement does a woman need?

OK so where is this going? Well you know from recent posts that I will be partaking in Pirates of the Chemotherapy and actually my character still has hair in the play due to a lesser form of Chemo.  But I want to do something more. I thought about having a fundraising event where people could donate for me either to keep my hair/ shave it. The greatest amount would be the deciding factor but then if I didn't shave it, someone else who might need hair, specifically curly hair wouldn't get any. It got me to thinking...
I have had some students who would participate each year in St. Baldrick's, http://www.stbaldricks.org/ and have their heads shaved to donate their locks for children with Cancer. 

This year the event will be held on March 9th and I will be joining others in raising awareness and also to shed this massive head of curls. I hope that you will join me and help by donations towards this effort/ come donate your hair too.

I just signed up to raise money for St. Baldrick's. Check out my webpage! http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/584092/2013
OK help me raise a lot of money. AND let's hope one day we will eradicate the need for Chemo.

Love from the End of the Rainbow Valley...




2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'd be beautiful as a bald woman also but I don't envy you the growing back process. However, it would be interesting to watch. It is just hair after all, it grows again. Some of the sexiest women I've ever seen were black women with close cropped hair. It's always fun to see what you'll do next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I feel 'blessed' to have the choice. If my participation in St Baldrick's can keep a younger head warmer having my curls, all the better. May everybody help me meet my fundraising goal of raising at least $1000. Please share the St Baldrick's link so your Quartzite crew and others will donate to Pirates of the Chemotherapy.

    ReplyDelete