Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Do the Mashed Potato...

Do you know what this is?


                                                         
                                       It looks like a giant garlic press but it's not...


It is  called a RICER.

Just when you think you have all the gadgets you need, all of a sudden you have a new favorite one especially at Turkey time.  Actually this one was received as a gift by accident back when I lived in Milwaukee.  One day I was visiting in Cumberland's teacher lounge at lunch time talking about needing to replace my rice cooker.  It had really had a long lifetime as it was a wedding gift some 28 years before. One of my sweet colleagues overheard the conversation and the next day arrived with a "ricer" as she had two. I laughed and expressed my appreciation for her generosity but I was talking about my rice cooker. Chuckle, chuckle and I had no clue whatsoever what a ricer even was. She insisted I take it and that it was great for making perfect mashed potatoes.

Hence it gets pulled out this week to help make a new  'Sweet Potatoes' Rachel Ray recipe.

                                       I think that you will enjoy it as well...

You will need:

3 lb sweet potatoes diced small, cooked (riced/mashed)
½ stick melted butter/margarine
sliced banana (secret ingredient) 
orange zest
juice of one orange juice
1/2  c brown sugar ( you certainly don't need all this )
½ - 1 c chicken stock 
salt
pepper
grated nutmeg




Cook the secret ingredient banana in the melted butter.


Add orange citrus zest. Now cut open that very same orange and -

Squeeze the juice of that orange, giving it a minute to cook down.

Dump in the riced cooked taters (sweet potatoes).

Finally the remaining ingredients.
 The 3 S's  :  Sugar, stock and seasonings.



A first for me was  grating the nutmeg since I had always bought it 'ground.'

                                                      It really is a nut. Who knew?



Mix all your ingredients... VOILA,   What's not to like? The Kitchen Fairy has hit again...








1 comment:

  1. That really looks good -I love sweet potatoes anyway, Pete not so much. Maybe if I added the brown sugar and presented it like we fix our acorn squash....that's an idea.

    ReplyDelete