Wednesday, October 10, 2012

More COMFORT... comfort food that is


As forementioned I use what's the freshest on hand and we still have a lot of 'Swiss chard' in the garden. I don't think I had even ever eaten Swiss chard before moving to the End of the Rainbow Valley and I've discovered that it's a great substitute for spinach. Sooooo after Natureman finished his cup of coffee, I sent him out to harvest some swiss chard for our dinner.

Hence my version instead of Spinach Artichoke Pasta is now Swiss Chard Artichoke Pasta...

BTW I also had also bought this gigantic jar of artichokes this summer at Sam's and have been dying for recipes to use it!

SO this is what You will need besides the greens and artichokes:



6 T Butter
4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced (we use alot of garlic so I love the ginorous jars)
2 bags Baby Spinach/ Chopped up Swiss Chard
2 cans Artichoke Hearts, Drained and quartered,(next time we will cut smaller)
3 T Flour
3 c Whole Milk (I didn't have 3 c so I add vegetarian broth & some cream cheese)
1/4 t Cayenne Pepper
Salt And Pepper, to taste
1/2 c Grated Parmesan Cheese
1-1/2 c Mozzarella Or Monterey Jack Cheese, Grated
1/2 c Low Sodium Chicken/Vegetarian Broth (less Or More)see milk note
12 oz, weight Penne, Cooked Until Al Dente( I used Amish noodles)
1/2 c Seasoned Panko Breadcrumbs
Crushed Red Pepper, To Taste

Start by quickly wilting the spinach in 2T melted butter over medium heat… I used the electric fry pan BTW.

Then throw in minced garlic. Notice since we love garlic in the End of the Rainbow Valley, we buy the pre-chopped garlic in the 'largest' container.

Add greens whether you use spinach/swiss chard stirring it until it just begins to wilt. This takes probably a minute, minute-and-a-half. In other words, don't kill it.

Remove greens from pan (set aside in a bowl) and melt 2T more butter in the pan. Increase heat to high.

Drain artichokes and at least quarter them. (Bigger does not mean better.)
Add to pan. Stir them for a couple of minutes, just to get as much color on them as you can… Remove artichokes. ( I let them share half the bowl with the greens.)

Reduce heat to low and add a little more butter (2T) to the pan.

HEY Nobody said this was 'low caloric.'

Sprinkle in flour. Mix it until it makes a paste cooks call 'roux.'(pron. ROO)

Now add the milk and whisk as it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add cheeses and cayenne pepper.

Return artichokes and then add cooked pasta, folding in spinach/chard...

Ladle into bowls topping with seasoned panko bread crumbs and dash of chile flakes.

Yum yum good.


Many thanks to my Jazzerbuddy Jean for trying this out and posting the recipe from Pioneer Woman. It's definitely a keeper. I know that we will be having it again here in the End of the Rainbow Valley.
















1 comment: