Monday, October 22, 2012

Another one bites the dust...


We lost a chicken and it was due to the fact that one of the girls decided to 'fly the coop.' When we are done harvesting, the girls have full run of the garden but you know how the grass is always greener on the other side? Well, someone decided to spread her wings. Those teenagers are always thinking they know everything... she did not make it back home. SO now we are down to 10 girls.

This called for a covert operation headed by Natureman with his sidekick me as his assistant. Once it was dark and the girls were roosting for the night we headed to the coop. Natureman with clippers in hand and me with the flash light. My job was to keep the light on the chicken as he did what he needed to do... The only problem was that the clippers were basically useless. Nothing like adding a little anxiety to the procedure. SO back to the house we went to grab something that would work better on feathers and plain old kitchen scissors were chosen as the instrument.


The girls didn't fuss at all as Natureman would extend a wing and just cut off the tips of some feathers. It wasn't easy being the light source with my eyes closed at first but since there was no squawking, I opened my eyes and realized it was more painful to me than them. It was like getting a haircut. Whew.

Hopefully this will deter future adventure desires for the others right here in the End of the Rainbow Valley//as Kylie may find out that you may spread your wings and not fly if they are clipped.








1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that info, I had always thought this was a painful process. Now I can relax. I love Kylie's colorful wings - I can bet nobody could clip those!

    ReplyDelete