Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Jewish Penicillin


There's nothing better for a cold /holiday meal than matzo balls and chicken soup.

I could give you the recipe of making matzo balls from scratch but who would I be kidding... I don't even know anybody who really makes it from scratch. Manischewitz makes a matzo ball and soup mix. The thing is I like a different brand and it is Croyden House. I swear the Matzo balls come out fluffier. I also added a couple extra ingredients although I have to be honest that I couldn't taste a big difference since I have a whopper of a cold. BUT anyhow I also added the following to the eggs,oil and matzo meal.

1 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
3 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1/2 t ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, finely minced

Place the matzoh mixture in the frig and while it is chillin', bring a big pot of water to a boil, add the soup packet.(it's just chicken bouillon)

After the matzoh mixture is chilled, (about 15 minutes) place some olive oil on your palms and take about a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and roll it into a ball. Then drop each ball into the boiling broth, reducing the heat and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes.

SOUP:

You can buy a stewing chicken which costs more/ any type of chicken/ parts...Reality is that you are going to cook it to death /til it falls off the bone.

Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the following:

1 1/2 kilo chicken parts: bones, wings, thighs, feet, gizzards, hearts, skin in any ratio (not the liver)
2 large carrots, washed, unpeeled, broken into coarse pieces
1 large onion, peeled, cut into quarters
2 celery stalks, cut into quarters
1 medium parsnip, washed, unpeeled, cut into three pieces (or parsley root)
6-8 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, whole
4 sprigs fresh thyme, whole or 2 tsp dry thyme
1 Tbsp salt
1 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorn
when I have a 'parsnip' (peel and chop like you would carrots)

Turn the heat down and let simmer for at least 4 hours.

Many strain all the ingredients out to have a clear broth but I love my veggies. So after skimming off the fat,and adjusting salt. I remove the chicken bones and onion pieces and ladle out the soup adding a matzoh ball and some of its broth or two.

Ess und geh gesund... Eat and be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment