Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Happy Trails to You...

How many of you remember the song 'Happy Trails to You?' Well after 10 years with Natureman, that tv theme music has taken on new meaning since I have really come to appreciate the journey more than sometimes the destination. I was looking for the man that also liked to stop and smell the roses but I really didn't comprehend that the time taken along the way was truly the experience and so it was again en route to and from Lanesboro, Minnesota for our car/bike trip.

Before we ever even left La Crosse, I got myself a 'new' ride. The last time I had a new bike was in 1976, a wedding gift of his and her bikes from my parents. Hey get a look at my new wheels-pretty cool, huh? And it actually fits ME.
I guess I am officially a Trekkie since Trek bikes are local or a 'so called' Wisconsin company despite the fact that only their ‘very high end’ bikes are not made in China. (That was a very sad revelation.) :( It was probably the easiest sale that salesman has ever made. I checked out the 'used' bikes first only to discover that I needed a smaller frame. Heck I knew that I had gained some of that lost weight back but to be told that by a complete stranger. Holy moly. Seriously, I almost got excited thinking since kid shoes cost me less maybe the bike frame size would work the same way. I didn’t want 21 gears that I would never use either. It so happens that they do make a women's 13 " frame with 7 speeds. After equipping it with a kickstand, it made its way inside the car with us since the two bikes didn't like to share the old bike rack.

We arrived at noon in Lanesboro just in time for our picnic lunch and enjoyed shade in one of the park pavillions. Multi generational families enjoyed the summer day with us. It’s not every-where besides a small town where you can visit your city's library in a park that also houses the campground's showers and restrooms alongside spring fed trout waters and duck families.


Then it was onto the bike trail to Preston as I tried out all my gears alongside the Root River as it weaved its way on one side of us with a few canoers and people tubing.
It was a Monday after all. We crossed bridges and passed fields of corn and soy beans. Lots and lots of soy beans...


The well kept bike trails are part of the state funded rails to trails, converted abandoned railroad tracks that connect bikers from Houston to Preston/Fountain City in Minnesota.
On our very first bike ride on this trail 8 years ago We had missed a turnoff which had us going 'uphill' to Fountain City. (Another Natureman adventure when I was reassured that we are 'almost there' when I knew I couldn’t see the top.) Anyhow, I remembered a golf course near the turn off and we didn’t miss the Preston Cutoff this time! We treated ourselves to AC and a well earned ice cold rootbeer on the 90 degree day upon arrival. Do notice that we are the only 2 parked bikes at the Trailhead Inn.
  
Preston once housed a granary and has converted the old elementary school now to guest suites for the bikers brought to town by the trails.
Preston is home of the National Trout Center. Who knew? This tourism industry will be also be greatly affected by the proposed sand fracking taking over so much of this region.

(Neighboring Houston has a moratorium on it. If Europe can do it so can we!)

I don't think cyclists nor inhabitants will want to put up with the truck hauling traffic nor inhale that silica dust. Let's hope they block the sand mining endeavors.


Our 18 mile trek included lots of sights-some great barns,a deer crossing the path in front of us and a turkey vulture checking us out on a low branch who was probably waiting for one of us to drop from heat exhaustion. We fooled him as I knew the Habberstad House and a cold drink and shower were awaiting us.

That rope swing was pretty inviting and Irv had mentioned wanting to jump in the river …
I knew that we weren't far from our lodging and would be there within the hour and I was pretty sure I didn't wanted wet clothes for the remainder of the bike outing. It was a close call. 'No denying that it was a warm one almost as hot as that first date.

The Habberstad House is ideally located 6 blocks from downtown so after a brief repose we walked to enjoy a light supper since we had had such great munchies for our late afternoon celebration. A volley ball game was taking place in the park and all I could think of was - Ah to have so much energy. I don't know about Irv but I was wiped!

We were back in the B&B by 9 tuckered out. After the scrumptious breakfast the next am and some visiting, we were on our way back driving by goat prairies. I never realized it was manmade by clear cutting. Another 'country' factoid.



Homeward bound- we had our own goats and chickens that needed  tending. Romeo greeted us acting like he had everything under control and the blue birds were working hard to ward off unwanted visitors of their growing baby birds. We were back home in the End of the Rainbow Valley feeling like we had just spent a week away when in reality it was just a very full 24 hours...

3 comments:

  1. Sound like a great trip...i LOVE your new bike! A loop frame will be my next bike too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad this bike outing went better than the previous one. Nice wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Siree Bob I am going to enjoy these new wheels...

    ReplyDelete