Thursday, July 19, 2012

Food for the Soul...

I do have one complaint about living in the End of the Rainbow Valley re:food and that is that we really don't have much choice regarding going out to dinner. Yet every time I return to Little Rock, there are always new restaurants to try and of course the old favorites.
I hate to make a 'pig' of myself but hey I'm down South. Even the smokers look like Razorbacks.

This stay has been filled with lots of dining out. You could say I am getting my 'fill.' I had a brother-in-law who always judged his trips by his gastronomic experiences. For me it definitely is the company at the dinner table more than the food...

So that's what bugs me about eating at a buffet even if it gives people food choices, as everybody spends alot of the dining experience time getting up and down and conversation is disjointed. Do you know what I mean? Since my Dad chooses his favorite restaurant by quantity served, it's a guarantee that we end up at a Chinese buffet. For the last 5 years (?) it's been this one in Maumelle about 20 minutes away.
You all have been to one like it. There are rows upon rows of steamed trays of both Asian and American fare. This particular buffet even has a sushi bar and mongolian grill but I tend to people watch as plates are stacked with food and as they return more than once for refills. It actually turns my stomach/ is that I too take too much?

My brother Marc, niece Becky and I visited a new place for some Mexican cuisine and we nearly froze as the AC was determined to keep the ice in our drinks from melting. Service staff was running every where except to our table. And even though we didn't have chips for the dip and 'beef' orders were all 'chicken,' we had some really good laughs and a good memory. I bet the Sangria didn't hurt either. :)

I have already written about the Chicken n Dumpling dinner at Homer's as my sister-in-law Terri, niece Becky and Mispocha Elizabeth and I all ordered this Southern special. Unfortunately I let a phone call interrupt our visit. Mental note.. calls can wait. A blog entry for another day.

A craving of Trio's Spinach dip and crispy seasoned pita chips was humored by a High School Scout buddy Lou Ann. I have to admit I almost licked the bowl clean.
Although Lou Ann and I never frequented Trio's together when I lived here, the owner is a high school classmate.


How could we resist a dessert once we saw this dessert tray?

We did split a piece of the Key Lime pie and left with a couple desserts to share with others. Aren't we nice to share the calories?

Then I have also been spoiled by some great home cooking by my brother in addition to that chick fil sandwich lunch together. I have to admit that I even ate a 'white bread' sandwich with mayo! Now if that isn't nostalgic, what is? Permit me to digress a bit as my olfactory senses brought back elementary school field trips to the Wonder Bread factory where the motto was 'untouched by human hands'. I used to envision Monkeys working there.

Sunday evening Jim, my friend Chris's husband outdid himself with this amazing grilled steak dinner. Doesn't that plate just make your mouth water? It was so good. And we even ate in front of the TV, a rarity for me.



AND You can't visit the South and not get bar-b-que. Thanks to my buddy Debbie I was indulged with a great bar-b- que beef sandwich accompanied with bar-b-que potato chips at Whole Hog.

There were sauces for every palate - sweet, vinegary,mustardy, spicy, traditional- and you know it was made all gone as it was washed down with what else but sweet tea, of course.

Sky featured Italian fare my last patio visit but now is now Asian fusion and friend Becky and I had a spicy Chicken dish to 'warm' us up. We I think we had at least 3 drink refills each. WE had a lot to catch up on.


Wednesday was reserved for Kaye and Shep for a Chinese dumpling tutorial with onion cakes and bok choy accompanied by rice. Shep was kind enough to reciprocate by sharing his Mom's Hot Water cornbread recipe with of course a dollop of butter. They had to roll me out the front to leave as I was full of both our conversation and midday meal.

I accompanied my brother and niece to the Dixie Cafe but really didn't have any room to order a dinner. Besides you know it's all about the company not the food. AND you know from this entry that I am not lacking caloric intake...

I do have a new food factoid for you re: Chicken and Dumplings since Becky ordered them again. I learned that there are sliders and floaters regarding those dumplings and their shape and densities. Flat ones are the sliders and the bulbous are called floaters. There you go... Thanks to Kaye and Shep for the enlightenment.


An Indian outing was next on the agenda but it doesn't matter if I don't have room because nothing beats the company of friends around a dinner table whether I am in Little Rock or in the End of the Rainbow Valley.



No comments:

Post a Comment