Thursday, July 12, 2012

Childhood home memories...

Of course there's a lot that never changes when you are referring to your parents. I don't know if we as kids ever like certain things to change in regard to the home in which we grew up. I remember Natureman telling me the story of how he told his boys that he wasn't going to leave their home like a museum to visit whenever they came back. And as I am staying right now in my childhood home, I do remember in my teens thinking after I went off to college that I couldn't believe that they changed my room.

Actually I guess the pink room had to go but my folks must have had a love affair with panelling.. Four rooms were panelled once I went off to college in the 70's. I bet you remember when that rage came through and every home had/maybe still has panelling in a den/family room. Four rooms got panelled besides the add-on family room,the hallway, my brother's bedroom and my bedroom.

Gratefully carpetting the floors was never embraced so the original wood floors still grace the majority of the house. What most people wouldn't give for real wood floors!
While the rest of the world went through shag, plush and frisee type carpetting, the wood remained albeit needing refinishing over the years.


The main bath still has the original green and white diamond tiles. Note also the cool sink in the full bath. I think the retro collectors would have a hay day on a walk through.
Does anybody recognize the object the item on the lower part of the wall? Now I feel like Facebook where you see an item and people identify it. Well?

Yep, that's a gas wall heater which was lit by a match to warm up the bathroom and I remember as a kid after getting out of the tub standing in front of it with a towel wrapped around me. I can't believe a towel never caught on fire or that we 3 kids never burned ourselves.

One last major household memory which helped make summer evenings bearable. Did your home have one of these?

I guess I could keep posting items to identify but you get the idea. These are the memorable items associated with my childhood home.





1 comment:

  1. Attic Fan! Yes, we had one in our old house and our new house(new in 1960 that is).

    My current house still has a wall heater in the bathroom but it is electric. We heat with wood, however.

    ReplyDelete