Saturday, June 9, 2012

I have a thing about...BARNS

I have a thing about BARNS. Yep, I don’t know what it is but ever since the kids owned the Fisher Price barn with the farm animals, you know the one where the barn door moos when you open it, I have had a special relationship with barns. I can’t take a country drive without getting excited as I point out each and every barn with oohs and ahs. I could be super wealthy if I received a dollar for every time I uttered “ look at that barn, isn’t that a great barn? “ A barn has amazing bones. We even incorporated barn beams from a nearby dilapidated old barn in our home’s great room. You should have seen us transporting these beams in the back of our old pick up. What were we thinking? The weight of them could have flipped us. Those suckers are huge. AND yes that's a California artist's geometric barn in our entry hallway. Then for a room divider between bedrooms, we used what else but a sliding barn door. The antique hardware was from our builder’s farm and the door is actually faux painted. In the same room there’s a photo gift from daughter Lori of an old barn with a rusty barn roof frame… all because I love barns. In fact, when I first visited the valley the very first structure I saw from the lower road is the 1890’s barn demarcated where a tobacco shed used to be attached. I think I fellain love with the valley right there and then.
As I rounded the bend approaching the old homestead, there sat this magnificent beauty of a barn, with log cabin construction. It's a bit tired, sagging and was in need of a new roof which has since been replaced with a metal green roof. A photojournalist instructor even featured the barn in a Menard’s calendar in the ‘80’s.
 The lower front part of the barn is for the goats is 6 ft in height possibly. Barn swallows make their nests among the beams. There is an opening to the 2 tiered hayloft. The barn needs more than a facelift as it really needs to be jacked up and retucked. I wonder if I can start a Save the Barn fundraiser. ??? What do you think? Knowing my love of barns Natureman made an anniversary reservation in a round barn hotel designed by a Frank Lloyd Wright student in Spring Green WI. He is so thoughtful... BUT of course and you already know what I am going to say... there's no barn like the barn I see every day from my kitchen window right here in the End the Rainbow Valley...

2 comments:

  1. Sweet post today. I also love barns, they evoke such good memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it seems so unlike my suburban St. Louis life to love barns. I'm not sure I actually saw one during my growing-up days (still waiting of up). It may explain why I remain the Great Indoorsperson.

    ReplyDelete