Friday, June 29, 2012

Getting the Finger..

Getting the finger…

Yesterday as my daughter and I took the Miata to town, I was reminded of a hand signal road difference between the city and the country and that is the giving and receiving of the finger… Irv calls it the one finger wave/ the Norwegian wave.

You see in the country when you approach a fellow motorist. They will lift their left forefinger from their grip on the wheel to acknowledge you and say hello.
It’s a subtle and effortless move that I have been working on perfecting. I think I almost have got it down. You just can’t appear too enthusiastic about the move even though this might be the only person you will see going the other direction on that country road.


Hand gestures are not just limited to motorists but motorcyclists as well will lower their left arm pointing down their forefinger as a salutation to a passing cyclist. I feel honored that even I on occasion while in the Miata have even received the finger in passing from a motorcycle driver. Do you think it’s the size of the vehicle?

Well no matter what, as long as I am leaving the End of the Rainbow Valley, it’s a lot better than receiving the bird, don’t you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment